Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Homewrecker

I had some remodeling done and the plumber used these connectors to transition from copper to pex. I asked about these and he said he uses them in transitions in accessible locations but not in hidden locations. I know PEX (the new PEX) has a fairly well documented track record, but I was curious about the shark bite connectors. It seems that for every plumber who likes them another won’t let go of his solder and torch. Anyone have a track record with these longer than the year or so I’ve know about them?

homebild
      Participant

“Anyone have a track record with these longer than the year or so I’ve know about them?”

Yep, and the track record is excellent.

Your plumber used them correctly.

Like slip-joint connectors or compression fittings, however, they cannot be used in a concealed location.

Other wise they will be fine.

Pricier than other transition fittings from one type pipe to another, but fine.

thiggy
      Participant

I follow a couple of plumbing forums, (one exclusively for pros). The main impression that I get about Shark Bite connectors is that they are not very well received by the professional plumber because it makes anyone feel as if they can be a plumber, regardless of their basic understanding of the craft. I believe that most plumbers admit (grudgingly at times) that Shark Bite fittings work as advertised, but point out that they are not ideal in many situations.

Unregistered-Homewrecker

Thank you gentlemen for sharing your knowledge.

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

they won’t meet code for behind a cabinet or up in a soffit ? only solder jnts there ? what about hidden transitions from copper to pex OR jnts in copper supply lines ?

working down at the shore on a new kitchen & getting ready to mud the drywall,,, THANKS ! ! !

http://www.itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative concrete artisan
      concrete repairs

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

just because there may be a huge jump from the mgf’s statement & code, i’ll ck code w/plumber

appreciate your help !

http://www.itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative concrete artisan
      concrete repairs

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.