• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephanie Peters

we have just been told our home is possibly a sears and roebuck catalog home. We would like to know more and see any pictures you might have to helpus out and making it look like it used to, especially the front porch. Thanks for your help.
      2,061 square feet 1 1/2 stories with 1 bath. We live in S.W. Idaho

Henry in MI

Stephanie, about the only way I know to do it is to check the old, reprinted, catalogs. This is probably not going to be easy, given your location, but you might start on the web by checking what catalogs are currently available at sites like amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. Since you probably know or should be able to find out the year your house was built from county land records, look for a catalog from the same approximate year. If the new book sites aren’t any help, then try a local used book dealer–they have reference material to most books that were ever published–and this info might also be available on the web also. You might even check the search engines to see if they have listings for sites under a general category like “Sears catalog houses”.

LISA

THERE IS A SEARS HOME ASSOCATION YOU CAN CONTACT
      AT: JOAN JOHNS, CHAIRPERSON, 627 EUCLID,
      GLEN ELLYN, IL 60137. MEMBERSHIP IS $10. A GOOD
      REFERENCE BOOK IS “HOUSES BY MAIL: A GUIDE TO
      HOUSES FROM SEARS, ROEBUCK AND CO” AUTHORS:
      KATHERINE COLE STEVENSON & H. WARD JANDL CALL
      1-800-225-5945 ($24.95 PAPERBOUND). TRY LOOKING
      FOR NUMBERED MARKINGS ON JOISTS & RAFTERS; MORTGAGE RECORDS MAY LIST SEARS; REMOVE BASEBOARD,OR MOLDINS & LOOK FOR NORWOOD SASH & DOOR CO.; CHECK BATH & HARDWARE FIXTURES THAT MAY BE NUMBERED OR ENGRAVED WITH THE LETTERS “SR”; CHECK ATTIC OR BASEMENT FOR BLUEPRINTS/BILL OF
      LADING.

GOOD LUCK!! HAVE FUN

Sheila Dake

Hear about a book called Homes for Sale that tells about early 1900’s catalog homes. would like to get a copy and check on my son’s home…have seen three within a two mile radius that look alike so maybe they were catalog homes

KrisDan in MI

My husband and I purchased our Sears catalog home this past April. According to our records and researching the old catalogs, we have a 1930 Maplewood (#3302). After reviewing old catalog pages, we believe the floor plans were reversed compared to the original. In fact, according to the original blueprints, which we have, the words “This plan to be reversed” appear on the top! Was it commen practice to reverse the floor plans? Does this lessen the historical/collector value of the house? Do you know where we can find a front entry door at a reasonable price?

Jerry C.

We have a book called ” Houses by Mail” you could
      find interesting. The authors are Katherine Cole
      Stevenson and H. Ward Jandl. You may find in
      library. All the Sears models are in there. We
      have a “Walton” model for sale as we speak in the
      St’ Louis area.

Chris Browne

My husband and I own an old home and have been told that it may be a Sears catalog home. I found an old catalog at the library with the exact floor plans of our home. We have tried looking in the attic and basement for markings, but cannot find any. Does the Sears company have old records or a historical division to help in my search?

Cyndi Beckman

I have seen your catalog and am very interested in buying some several items from it, could you please send me a copy. Thank you. My friend said that she thought she got one because she has a credit card through you, but I do too and do not recive it.
      610 monroe street
      fort atkinson,wi 53538

linda Nichols

We are looking for a projection clock This clock projects the time on the ceiling or the wall. Thank you

Bonni L. Dinneen

We purchased a vast historical estate home 8 years ago. The property has been subdivided. We recently purchase the ploty abutting our property. The house on the property has evidence that it could be a SR Dutch Colonial House kit. It is still the original blue exterior shade. I’m rying to locate original blue print of the house. Some remuddling has been done but the “bones” are still in tack. Can you help me in my research?

Bonni L. Dinneen

We purchased a vast 1869 Second Empire historical estate home 8 years ago. The property has been subdivided. We recently purchase the plot abutting our property. The house on the property has evidence that it could be a SR Dutch Colonial House kit. It is still the original blue exterior shade. I’m rying to locate original blue print of the house. Some remuddling has been done but the “bones” are still in tack. Can you help me in my research?

Bonni L. Dinneen

We purchased a vast 1869 Second Empire historical estate home 8 years ago. The property has been subdivided. We recently purchase the plot abutting our property. The house on the property has evidence that it could be a SR Dutch Colonial House kit. It is still the original blue exterior shade. I’m trying to locate original blue print of the house. Some remuddling has been done but the “bones” are still in tack. Can you help me in my research?

ric c

A guy walking past my house one day said ‘Hey I see ya got a Sears house there’. As I search around out here on the web, it looks like there may be something to having a Sears house. I know it was built in the 20’s but I’ve yet to find a way to ID my home. Is there a good place to view pictures of Sears houses you all could share with me?

Thanks

ric c

A guy walking past my house one day said ‘Hey I see ya got a Sears house there’. As I search around out here on the web, it looks like there may be something to having a Sears house. I know it was built in the 20’s but I’ve yet to find a way to ID my home. Is there a good place to view pictures of Sears houses you all could share with me?

Thanks

john roberts

i just purchased a 1943 log cabin that was told to me by the owner that said it was bought from sears catalog in 1943. it is approxamtely 20’x24’and is in great shape. i would like more info on it and if it has any value as a sears catalog home or for historic reasons. thank you

Tara J. Hardy

I have recently been told by an elderly neighbor that my house is a sears catalog home. I had also been told this by the previous home owner that we purchased it from. How would i go about making a positive identification to be certain. I have some old sears catalogs from the same year and the styles are right on. Although my home has alot of custom features, 1/2 bath on first floor, crown molding throughout, kitchen walls and ceiling are original ceramic tile, brick exterior with front and rear porches. We bought the house with intention of fixing up. It had been neglected for some years. Please advise. I don’t want to do anything that would harm the value or take away from its possible historical importance.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.