• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 18 years, 9 months ago by Unregistered-ctamburrino3@netzero.com.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      HAMMOCK
      Participant

Does anyone out there have any suggestions regarding removal of sheet flooring (linoleum or vinyl) and mastic/adhesive?

If I remove the sheet flooring, leaving a residue of mastic/adhesive on a concrete slab, how do I prepare the floor before I install the new self-adhesive tiles?

(1) Is there something I can apply that will seal the residual mastic/adhesive and allow the self-adhesive tiles to adhere?

Or, (2) is there a solvent I can use that will remove the residual mastic/adhesive down to the concrete slab?

######################################
      The the house was built in 1976 with original sheet flooring (and mastic) that is likely asbestos.

There is a 2nd layer of 1-ft sq. tiles (and adhesive) that are probably not asbestos. Although, I don’t know when or how the tiles were applied (self-adhesive or not.)

Even though there are no apparent problems with the either existing layer of flooring (no chipping, curling, or popping up) we wish to replace the flooring.

IF I can remove the tiles (and tile adhesive residue) without damaging the sheet flooring, AND if the sheet flooring is still in goog condition, I MAY be able to install the new self-adhesive tiles without having to remove it (the asbestos sheet flooring.)

BUT, if I have to remove the sheet flooring. then I will have to deal with the residual mastic/adhesive (asbestos).

I’m looking for as much information as I can get before I begin. So, thanks for the feed back.

Unregistered-BobF

If installed in 1976, the adhesive may not be asbestos filled. To my knowledge, the only vinyl asbestos tiles were 9×9″. I believe the asbestos containing adhesive was black.
      I would remove everything down to the concrete; you will not be able to remove just one layer.
      With all that, I pesonally don’t panic where asbestos is involved; I just make sure I don’t sand it etc so it becomes airborne.
      I would use an 8″ razor floor scraper to take up vinyl and adhesive. You should be able to get the concrete clean enough that you can lay the self-stick tiles on it. If you don’t like that idea, there is a sealer that can be applied with a trowel. Or you can remove the adhesive with lacquer thinner.
      Self-stick tiles have a reputation of shrinking so that there are gaps between. To minimize that, lay out the tiles dry for a day or so to acclimate to the floor temp and humidity.

Unregistered-ctamburrino3@netzero.com

I am redoing my hall which was tiled about 30 years ago. After removing the tile I was left with the residue of the mastic. Myproblem is how do I remove this adhesive mastic with little to no hastle, without causing massive amounts of dust and the wonderful smell of adhesive removers.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.