• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Dave in S.E. Michigan

Question:

My wife & I are looking to reside our 1925 Cape Cod Home. We really like the the vinyl

hand-split shakes produced by the Nailite company however many friends suggest I would make a better investment to go with real split cedar shakes?

My question is, ten years down the road will the real Cedar Shakes provide a better return on my investment then selecting the vinyl ?

Dave/Michigan

tomh

You have an older home with a traditional style; on the other hand, you are not on Cape Cod. Real cedar shingles are authentic and may be most appropriate if you are in a neighborhood that has architectural limits on materials (CC&Rs).

Whether you see a return on investment depends a great deal on the local market. A realtor in your area is probably in a better posiiton to advise on that point. In my experience a homes value is primarily determined by location (comparable values) condition and size. Features such as siding material, window type, floor coverings are amenities that may affect how fast a home will sell, and who it will appeal to, but miminally affects value.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.