• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Frank

I bought a 1963 2000 SQFT Home. With a Diving Pool. Got a great deal…except for the pool. The pool needs re-plastering.
      So we need a step by step on how to replaster or remodel a pool from Acid Wash, to Paint, to Inside Pool Electrical lighting, etc.. Huge Pool..600SQft 10 Feet deep

Key

I have a 36′ x 18′ x 8′ ft pool, it need total overhall, i.e. plumbing, Electrical Lighting, replastering, need to replace both the skimmer and the bottom drain.

P.S. the pool has 4 large crakes in the corners of the deep end.

joe garcia

i would like to paint and re-plaster my pool

Betty Mendez

My husband and I would like to replaster our pool. We need step by step instuctions on how to apply whitecoat or marcite and the pool tile. I can’t find info on how to do it yourself anywhere. I know it is alot of work but it can be done. Please help. Thank you.

Todd Sylvester

Did anyone get an answer on the question of how to replaster a pool? I would love to know how to do it myself.

liz

Acquiring big, expensive, or unusual tools: concrete mixer, diamond tile saw, large air compressor, 240 volt 30 amp power outlet, stainless steel pool trowels, tile/plaster/concrete tools, hand truck, dolly, platform hand truck, pneumatic chisel, pneumatic angle gringer, diamond polishing disks.

Installing and maintaining a sump system to prevent our local high water table from floating the empty pool structure out of the ground. This also ejects spent acid-wash out of the pool.

Mothballing the pool equipment (pump, filter, heater, plumbing, controllers) for the duration of the project.

Removing the faded old tile fascia and mortar from the coping overhang.

Removing the faded old waterline tile and patching the cracked bond beam behind.

Removing old loose plaster.

Removing the old tile nosing the step edges, and removing all plaster on the steps and surrounding area down to the shell.

Acid-washing the old plaster surface to clean it of remnants of algae and stains, to etch off loose surface material, and to provide a raw surface to improve the bond to the new plaster.

Filling in and patching loose areas removed.

Researching, ordering and hauling to the site various raw materials: 120 running feet of 3/4 inch by 6 inch marble, 120 running feet of porcelain grade tile (60 12×12 tiles cut in half), 200 pounds of premium thinset mortar for the tile/marble/slate work, 25 pounds of grout, 2 cans of mosquito repellant, 1 large bottle of ibuprofen, and over 2 tons of pool finish plaster and acrylic fortifier.

Constructing and aligning precision scaffolds to hold the heavy marble slabs that would be set onto the vertical face (fascia) of the coping.

Cutting and setting new marble slabs for fascia on the coping overhang.

Grouting the gaps between the marble slabs with white grout.

Grouting the gaps between the marble slabs and the deck with brick-colored grout.

Installing fiberboard scaffolds to hold the new waterline tile while setting.

Cutting and setting the new waterline tile.

Plastering the area between the new marble and the new waterline tile, underneath the coping.

Mensurating, cutting, setting, and beveling keystone-shaped slate tiles to cover the slightly irregular curves of the entrance steps.

Cutting and setting tile lines that divide the pool surface into smaller, manageable sections for plastering sessions.

Mixing, transporting, gauging, troweling, finishing, touching up, and polishing the pool plaster itself.

Grouting between the slate tiles and step faces.

Restarting the pool pump, filter, and controllers.

Managing the start-up chemistry of the new water fill.

Repairing leaks discovered in the pool after filling.

Reopening the pool (hurrah!) and switching to regular maintenance chemistry and cleaning.

Consigning unusual tools to resale or storage.

Cleaning-up of spilled plaster from lawn and deck

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.