• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      S. Holladay

I have wooden attic stairs. When u let down the stairs and try to fold them back up, u have to have two people (one on each side) to pull the hinges forward to shove the stairs up. My daughter says that the springs are installed backwards. Can anyone tell me what to do. I took one spring off and it came flying at me. Missed thank goodness. Now I can’t get my stairs up at all. HELP.

dp

when did we men start listen to girls about fixin stuff?

now S, time to start acting like a man, there aint no such thing as a backwards spring, use your head man

if both ends of the spring are the same and the spring is the same along its length how could it be backwards

get a length of rope, hook one end of spring where it belongs at the top of stairs. you may have to have stairs folded up to reattach the spring, you may have to be in the attic

so hook one end of spring, put a length of rope to act as a handle on other end of spring and respring to where it attaches

then spray some lube on them assemblys on the stairsm where ever there is a friction point, oil it up

test for proper function

if is ok, stop there

if not proceed as follows

check all fittings on stairs are tight and snug, while your inspecting it look for anything unusual, like worn out parts, spilt wood parts or bent things, repair as needed

check for proper function. if ok stop

if not working still, proceed as follows

carefully and slowely fold and unfold, alone, no women around and look for what the problem is and address it

and for heavans sake, keep the women folk i the kitchen where they belong!

dp

so i tell this guy how to fix his attic stairs, no one else did, wrote 50 sentenaces and carl takes 2 sentenaces and wants to pillary me in some little hissy fit!

i forgot the lol after the girl comments but S. says his daughter advice almost took his head off. so no one has a sense of humor anymore?

remember, i told S. how to fix his attic stairs, has anyone else here dont that? NO

just go after me because i own more tolls and spit sawdust in the sink first thing in the morning

BTW, i spend my sunday repalceing the fuel pump in my 97′ GMC work truck. this involved removeing the fuel tank, repalceing hi-pressure electric fuel pump, button everything back up and started first try. not only am i a licensed contractor but a compentant mechanic

then i went out for 4 hours plowing snow for my customers, makeing $480, add that to the 5 hours on snow i did last nite from 11pm till 4am this morning, makeing this noreaster a thousand dollar storm for dp

Jerry

Mine did this same thing once. Try tightening up all the nuts and bolts. Sounds like your hinges are shifting and binding.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.