Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      princeofnam
      Participant

my eyeglasses that are made of plastic split right in half on the plastic frame and not on the hinge or anything. i’m told this is impossible to fix. does anyone have any ideas to seal the plastic together?

Unregistered-lg

you’re gonna need some new frames.no matter what you do they will not hold together for any length of time.

Unregistered-Henry in MI

Over the years I tried ACC (Crazy Glue), epoxy and plastic solvents with poor results. If you do try anything, remember that the lenses are plastic also. Anything that contacts the frames may also contact the lenses and end up causing more problems for you.

Part of the problem is that plastic has a plasticizer in it that keeps it softer and allows it to move a little. As the plastic in the frames age, the plasticizer slowly evaporates making the frames more brittle. This phenomena is not only with eyeglass frames. It happens with all plastics. The loss of the plasticizer and more brittle plastic makes it difficult to snap the lens into the frame after gluing, which is the only way that a repair method will reliably work.

Henry in MI

thiggy
      Participant

What about just replacing the frames, reusing the same lenses?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.