• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-gergev

I want to remove ceiling wallboard in my bedroom and replace it with suspended ceiling panels. Mice have nested up there, left spots and it smells. There is rolled insulation between the ceiling joists (which mice love to nest in I’ve discovered).

Any tips to help make a messy job less so?

Using a hammer and prybar would probably be efficient, but I would like to cut down on the dust, mess, etc.

I thought I might use a utility knife where the walls meet the celing to cut through the seam, find each drywall screw in the ceiling with a screw/nail magnet indicator, drill them out, and hopefully lower wallboard in larger sections this way.

Is there a better way?
      Any good technique for getting drywall plaster out of drywall screw heads to accept drill bit? Wire brush attachment on drill maybe?

Unregistered-BobF

Cutting out each nail or screw seems very tedious to me. Plus, you would have to support the drywall as the last few fasteners are removed. Cutting it in sections would help. Even so, you are going to get dust on everything below.
      I would cover everything below with 2-mil plastic and cut it into sections and just pull them down. Since you must have attic access, remove the insulation first. It will be smelly and you won’t be reusing it.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.