Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Removal of lanolium and replacement with tile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Richard Nelson

I need to remove an 8 year old lanolium floor and replace it with tile. How do I best get it up, and can I put the tile back down on the particle board or will I need a different surface?

BobF

Removing linoleum (or vinyl) from particleboard is going to tear it up some IMHO. I would use an 8″ razor floor scraper. A hot hair blower might help but that would be tedious.

For tile you will first neeed to lay 1/2″ Hardibacker using latex modified thinset and screws. That would cover any minor gouges in the particleboard ok.

For a lot more guidance on setting ceramic tile, read that topic on my website at http://www.bobf.info.

dp

likes bobf says a floor scraper make easy work of that

if you do lots damage replace the particle with 3/4 ply or bobf hardiboard

or go over your particle board with 1/4 ply as nice clean underlayment

dp

dp

for the ply wood tricks use 2 1/2″ ringed flooring nails, for the 3/4″ use at least 15 nails per sheet, for the 1/4 inch use atleast 45 nails per sheet

dp

Greg

A wallpaper steamer. I bought one at HD (has a big 12 by 8 steam head), I lifted the lino by hand, then used the steamer. It lifted the backing paper AND removed all the glue as well. 16 by 17 room took under 2 hours.

John N

I went tight over the lino. with 6 inch tile 2 months ago and all seems well. I put down 3/4 inch screws every 6 inches to hold the lino down. I couldn’t afford to lay any more backer board down as it would have raised my floor too much.

The thin-set mortar really holds as long as the lino is dry and clean. No shine or wax.

As stated…so far so good. This was recommended to me by an installer that does this often.

jill

how does someone lay linolium down in the kitchen over tile already their???

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.