Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Reinstalling the toilet after installing new ceramic tile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Darius Jack

I just installed new ceramic tile in my bathroom. When I attempted to reinstall the toilet the screws was not long enough to bolt the toilet back down. How I replace the screws or fix the problem?

t.b.

First off, when the toilet was originally installed they cut off the bolts so the decorative caps would fit. But you have to compress the wax ring to get the toilet seated properly or the bolts won’t be long enough. NEVER! tighten the toilet down with the bolts – kneel on it or sit on it first. However *IF* you went from sheet vinyl to ceramic tile you created a problem. toilet flanges are designed to be on top of the finished floor surface – yours is now too low. You need to remove the bolts – they are in channels which you probably don’t see due to nasty wax covering it up. DIg the gunk out and get new bolts. BUT! you also need a special taller wax ring to be sure it seals properly since your flange is now too low. And remember sit on the toilet first!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.