• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott Ramsay

My wife and I just purchased a home built in 1927. We plan to refinish the hardwood floors (1000 sq. ft.) in the living room, dining room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, hallway and bathroom. In my quest for the cheapest rental sander, I have been given many suggestions on what to use.
      Some people tell me to use a large vibrating sander, while others say a drum sander will work better. The floors have some glue deposits, but not too thick, and they scrape off with a little elbow grease. In some spots, the finish is completely worn off and the wood is visible. The floors are not uneven, and are level enough to warrant using a vibrating sander. Will this do the job adequetly and remove the finish so that we can apply a new finish? Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Scott

Dodgeman

It has been my experience that people that rent drum sanders to do it themselves end up with a finish they are not happy with. (Wavy surface, gouges, etc.) If your floor is level, and there is no need to remove a lot of material, I would go with the vibrating sander. If a drum sander is required, I would have that part of it done professionally.
      Just my opinion, I’m sure others will post.
      Dodgeman

Steve:

the surface conditions for each use.

I would think that since you floors are level, the vibrating or orbital sander would do a very good job, the drum does take off allot of surface if your not careful.

Orbitals do get up close to the baseboards or walls also. Be sure to use the grit paper pattern correctly.

Also, be very concerned and intuned to dust pickup. This stuff will haunt you when you begin the staining and sealing. Dust is the culprit of many floor restorers. Take all the precautions to remove all of it from the job site.

Jackie Henderson

I am refinishing my hardwood floors which were installed in 1955 they have some gaps and I need to fill them can you tell me the best way to do this and also how to do it using the sawdust from the floor sanding.

Thank you

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.