• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sean

I have oak floors that had carpet on them. When they put the carpet down they glued the padding onto the floor. The floors now have glue and carpet padding stuck to them.

Can I just sand the glue off or do I have to remove it manually? Krud Kutter and a scraper DOES remove most of it but that is extremely labor/time intensive compared to getting a floor sander and just sanding it off.

I am not really sure what kind of finish was used on it. And I am planning on sanding it anyway.

dp

your going to clog lots of sandpaper for the floor machine so make sure you gets lots of the corse paper when you rent the machine, easyer than scrapeing but really clogs that paper fast and at 10 bucks a sheet for the floor machine paper it gets expensive

perhaps a combo of scrapinig and then sanding would be the best choice, still gets lotas of extra corse grit paper, they credit for what you dont use so get alot!

dp

Rick

You can do either of those methods. Instead you may think of getting a wood stripper instead of the krud kutter. By using the wood stripper, you will not have as much scraping, and not quite as much residue to clog commercial sanders. It is labor intensive for sure, but if you want the best quality look on your floor, you will not think of the “extra labor” or cost, when it is completed, you will have a nice floor to show your friends and neighbors.

hy

This job can easily be done using the PEEL AWAY 5 product. It is a gel and works in about a three hour time frame. It will keep the natural color of the wood as well. Visit http://www.dumondchemicals.com)

Garfield

Use the sander. You’re refinishing anyway. I wouldn’t use chemical strippers. I do probably half a dozen or so refinish jobs a year. Your first grit with the drum sander is # 20. Very similar in looks to gravel driveway glued to paper. It will take your padding, whatever is left, and your glue off without any problems. You may go thru a couple of belts but I would be very surprised if you used more than two. Just my thoughts. Good luck

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.