• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kurt Pierce

I need help on how to measure and cut new stringers
      for basement stairs. The span is 11′ and there are 11
      stair treads. What is the height of the riser cut and
      the length of tread cut. Is 2 x 12 the right lumber to use
      for the stringers. What is the proper spacing between treads.

Thank You,
      K. Pierce

Greg

you need to know the height from the floor to the top of the floor joists in order to determine the height of each riser. Find it in inches and divide by 11. If it doesn’t come out even, cut the top step the remainder.If you have 11 steps and an 11′ span, each tread will be a foot. 2×12 is the proper size for the stringers.

sailor

find all you need to know on this site:

http://www.taunton.com/fh/features/techniques/basicstairs/1.htm

Mae Donnelly

I have really steep stairs with steps 28 inches apart and would like to make them easier to use.

One side isfixed to concrete wall and other open to the basement. I need information to remake them so that they are safe and can be use for children. the top turns to enter the door. The door opens onto a triangle step landing then turns to go straight down into the basement. Would appreciate any help you couldgive me. We also have people with walking problem that will be using the steps so I would like shallow steps.

From top to bottom the steps are 11 feet.

Thank you.

James Murray

I currently have poorly made stairs into my basement. they were there when I moved in. I want to install new stairs but am having a problem due to space restrictions. I have a 88″ total rise with a 81″ total run. If I make the stairs with the standard 7-8″ rise and a 10-12″ run the stairs are to long and don’t fit. I either have to shorten the run or extend the rise. My delemma is which way is the best to go for safety and comfort. A high rise or a short run.

THanks James Murray

Steve Bausch

Everybody just piles on with more questions. Shame on you guys!

Height of riser cut depends on finished floor heights of basement floor to ground floor. You would need to provide this.

Conventional tread width is no less than 10 inches.

Conventional riser width is 7 inches or so.

2×12 isn’t a bad choice, but the same book that says 2×12 will then go on to say that you need a minimum of 3 1/2 inches of carriage/stringer left after notches. That opens the door for 2×10 stringers. I wouldn’t scrimp; just use 2x12s.

The broad order of tasks are:

Determine total rise of staircase, in inches.

Divide by 7 inches. Most likely your answer will include a fraction. Since all rises need to be consistent, you then try dividing total rise by your result rounded up, and your result rounded down.

Which one makes for a better rise? Rise max is 7 3/4 inches. Rise minimum is 4 inches.

Chances are that a replacement staircase can’t be any shallower than the previous, else you run the risk of bumping heads at the bottom landing.

This subject isn’t easy to discuss without graphics. Tons of books on the subject of stair-building. Locate one and study it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.