• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Andy

Help!

I want to replace a noisy old non-vented range hood with a new vented unit, but I have a big problem…There is a stud directly behind the hood where the 10″ by 3 1/4″ vent goes! Can I cut this stud (exterior wall) without bringing the house down? There is not much room to work, as the cabinet is directly above the hood.

I could vent the hood up through the cabinet, but that would involve some serious carpentry that I’d rather not attempt, as I am a crummy carpenter.

Any ideas very appreciated–Thanks!

Dan O.

** Can I cut this stud (exterior wall) without bringing the house down? **

Very difficult for anyone here to say without being able to see it ourselves. IMO, if in doubt ask a contactor after allowing them to view what’s involved.

JMO

Dan O.

Daniel E. Fall

Hey Andy,

I have a couple ideas for you.

First of all, one solution is to tear out the whole wall and apply a header above that area. Some knowledge of carpentry and a lot of time.

Another solution would be to run a header across that stud ‘wild on the wall’. This means you could apply a header across that span above the range hood. This would require a couple of modifications to wall cabinetry and I really don’t like the idea, but thought I’d mention it just in case you could apply it.

The best solution is this….Measure exactly that stud location and go to a furnace/sheetmetal contractor and explain your situation. They will be able to build you a custom adaptor (two piece) that will go around the stud. They are busy guys right now, so take some cash!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.