Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      LINDSEY

I AM REALLY CONCERNED WITH USING ANY OF THE RALPH LAUREN PAINT LINES. I WAS THINKING ABOUT USING THE FAUX OR THE SUEDE COLLECTION, BUT I HAVE ONLY READ HORRIBLE THINGS ABOUT THIS PAINT BEING HARD TO APPLY. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EITHER OF THESE COLLECTIONS. I.E; TO THICK, PEELING, CRACKING, POOR COVERAGE ETC.
      THANKS !!!

Joe

I ,myself would go to a top brand like Ben/Moore, dutch boy, rather then give ralph money for his junk.

Ellen

We’ve had only good success with RL regular eggshell finish latex. We usually use Ben Moore or Pratt and Lambert and we think Ralph Lauren at Home Depot is a surprisingly good value at $25/gal.(compared to $35-40 for the other guys). The RL chips in the store are exactly the color that appears on the wall and coverage is very good, especially for the colors that use the deep tone tinting base. A dark red we’ve used twice takes 2 coats over the crappy white paint that was on the wall, but now it looks really good. I just wish they had a wider range of colors on display.

Jo

I’ve used RL suede finish paint with great success– there’s no secret, just follow directions, take your time, and try to pick colours that you would normally find in a “suede” finish. Make no judgement until it’s completely dry, it looks awful wet!! Desert Plateau is my favorite, and the walls are oooh’ed and awe’d over by many a visitor. I think the green & blue shades might look a tad odd though.

Jenny Desquitado

Your space might not be enough for my sentiments about this RL river rock paint, but i’ll try to make it short. I just recently painted my walls using the river rock finish and I must say that I’m very very dissapointed. After my second coat, i knew right away that there was a problem with the paint and not my self or the way I applied it. I thorougly followed the directions, talked to several guys over at home depot and thought I was ready after that.

I called RL 800 line and there’s not much they can tell me but to paint it again (that’s fine, the paint is only $37.00 a gal. so that’s no problem right??????????). I called home depot customer service and basically got the same answer, but they did say however, that they get quite a bit of complains about this river rock paint. Now, I’m done with my third coat and still looks the same, streaks and lines everywhere. Even while I was doing it I can see that the lines are not going away.

Ralph Lauren paints are definitely not cheap, and with that price I think they should provide and inform all the customers about the paint, not just 4 easy steps on the back of the can or something. Well, I guess I was not able to keep it short. Thanks for reading this e-mail.

Angela Moore

Im trying to finish a mess I started with this chambray denium technique. Help, I got seems everywhere. I think Im going to trash the RL paint and glaze and go with a better paint. This stuff isnt cheap and Im $200 bucks into it. Help, any suggestions.

Karen

I used the RL Suede paint in my bathroom. I did not use it in 18″ areas.I painted the whole wall then did smaller areas for the top coat. It was not hard to use and looks fabulous. The only note I would make is that it is not easy to clean, so don’t use in an area you need to clean frequently like behind the sink.

Karen

Dissappointed

We bought Eggshell in Hunting Coat Red……

The colour is nice but the application is TERRIBLE.

We first primed the walls (with a tinted primer) and now we are about to apply the FOURTH coat.

I’ve used paint that costs half the price that is 10 times better.

I do not recommend this watered down garbage to anyone….I’m going to purchase a gallon of Ben/Moore tomorrow so I can get the job done properly……..

Lisa Piseczny

I’m considering painting my living room using RL Duchesse Satin. I would like to hear from anyone who has used it. Did you have success? How did you apply it? Also, I’ll be painting over clean white walls. Should I still use a tinted primer first? Thanks, Lisa

Pmart

After 6 coats of RL paint I gave up…..I bought a can of Behr paint, had it colour matched, and finished the job.

I called the 800 number on the side of the RL paint can and they put me in touch with the RL rep in my area, and he refunded me all my money for the 2 cans purchased (from home depot)

I will try the paint again (maybe a lighter colour) because if RL is willing to stand behind their products that well, they deserve a second chance.

Larry Ziegler

I am a RL Advanced Trained Painter. I have used river rock and suede many times over the years and get great results. The key is definitely in the application- both technique and equipment. The reason these paints are dificlut to work with is the textured beads in the paint. These beads tend to bunch along the edge of conventional rollers and don’t work well with brushing unless you are very careful. I would be happy to share my tips and techniques with anyone who needs them.

Susan P

I bought a gallon of the DS in gold on the sale rack at Home Depot for $5.00. I couldn’t pass it up and knew I would find some use for it. Well, I’m using it for a 3 layer scroll stencil border in my room and mixing it with the other two colors I also bought on the sale rack ($1.00 per each quart) and the colors are coming out beautifully. I love it and applying it with cheesecloth/stencil brushes.

Fred P

Yeah, the colors are great… but the paint is absolutely terrible. I did an accent wall in Huntingcoat Red… after 4 coats I gave up trying to cover the original white. I went back to Home Depot and mentioned it… the first words out of them was “bet it didn’t cover, right”…. Take the color swatch and have it matched.

John

I applied 3 coats of dark red RL paint which we bought because weliked the color, and it covers fine. But, if you touch the wall with anything it leaves a white scuff mark on the painted surface. Attempting to rub it off just makes it worse. Has anyone else experienced this, if so what did you do about it? Thanks in advance.

Tricia

It might be passable for some faux painting but generally, stay away. The colors are awesome, but you can go to any Benjamin Moore dealer and get a color match. I did three coats of Ralph Lauren in one of my rooms in Red and it still looked horrible. I had to put two coats of Benjamin Moore on top of it. Using a high-quality paint like Benjamin Moore after using Ralph Lauren was like night and day.

Tricia

I love the colors so I just bring them to a Benjamin Moore store and get the color matched. Ralph Lauren paint sucks. All of my friends who have used professional painter have told me that none of them will agree to use Ralph Lauren paint. Instead they get it color matched. When I got the color matched at Benjamin Moore they told me that professional painters bring in Ralph Lauren colors to be matched all the time.

dangerouswithabrush

I have read the mixed reviews on this, but I was in a house yesterday that had this and it was beautiful. My living room is already painted with the same color as this, so would I have to worry about base?

Any hints beyond what’s on the can?

Thanks!!

Lisa

When RL first came out with paint, I purchased the duchesse satin, in a nice gold, and painted one wall in my loft. It came out great. The folks at Home Depot told me that it doesn’t roll well, but they’d ‘heard’ about good results with one particular roller. I think it had a thick nap.

Today I went to Home Depot to purchase a can of the Duchesse satin for my bathroom, in a pale color. After the man mixed it and handed it to me, he told me that I can’t roll it. That I can’t even use my Wagner sprayer, that it either needs to be sprayed with a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) sprayer, or sponged on. After I moaned about it, and told him that I had been successful with a darker color, years ago, he suggested that I roll the first coat, and then if I needed to make repairs, to sponge them on, to make it a faux finish.

Ideas anyone? If I do have lines, what do you think about me making my own glaze with the remainder of my gallon and some water, and then sponging that on?

Thanks!

Billy G

I just completed a painting job using the antique leathering kit. I found that lines created from the paint roller were a nuisance to avoid. The glaze dries VERY quickly (the can says 20 minutes – right!).

Unfortunately, I tried to go back with some more glaze to “blend in” the lines. Now I have dark lines (double the glaze) where the roller lines used to be.

Any ideas for a repair?

Dawn Campbell

Help!! Painted my teenager’s room 5 days ago and she still can’t sleep in it because of the paint fumes. We live in Houston and have had mild dry weather so we have been able to open the windows for a nice cross breeze. Looking for any suggestions.

Denis Y.

After 3 gallons for a ceiling and a wall and yes, streeks, I went to the web and found a ton of people who experienced the same thing. I had some left over, so I swapped the RL roller for a good nylon 3″ brush and used a quick stroke X pattern to cover the wall. It dried and looked great. Summary: one coat with the RL roller, remaining coats with a brush.

Went back to HD and armed with a few emails from this site got the manager to agree to give me 2 free quarts so I could finish the job.

At $50 (cdn) a gallon, this paint should go on the wall without even having to paint it! I agree with most people on this site, RL is a rip off, and now that Glidden manufactures it, my confidence level is 0. I will do like everyone else and get a color match in another make (BM, Para, etc). The RL colours are great, the little dots that make the river rock texture bunch up at one end of the RL roller and that’s what creates the streaks. You can’t see it when you apply it, only when it dries.

Too bad RL does so little to help their customers. Thanks to HD for understanding…

Franklin

rlhome.polo.com has just put some great tips with online videos that have really useful pointers. they also bare no bones about how long it takes (quite a while) and how much work (quite a lot) one can expect to get the finishes looking the way you want. i highly recommend anyone to take a look before starting a new RL paint project.

check out the site at http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/products/paint/default.asp

i’ve had some good luck with the river rock finish in canyon clay – but it did use a _lot_ more paint that i thought. (not enough primer, perhaps)

Patti V

A friend of mine said she buys mis-tints for $3 a gallon in Tampa. She said she had no problems with it and was going to do another room. With all the bad comments about the paint, I don’t know why anyone would want to take a chance with it…..thanks for saving me grief.

barb

I have used the ralph lauren suede paint

we are a contractor and it’s the easiest paint

for a faux finish I have ever used. Turns out

great. Now every one wants to do it!

Erick

I just finish the bottom half of my family room with this product and the only thing that I have to say is that you really need to take your time and use a lot of it. Don’t bother with the instructions on the back of the can…

Valerie Y

As I read the posts re: R. Lauren Duchesse Satin paint, everyone seems to have similar frustrations re quantity used, streaks, etc., but no one seems to have actually sprayed it.

I’d like to hear from someone who has actually used the HVLP sprayer–how well it works, whether waste is reduced, how many coats, etc.

Also, on my third call to the Customer Service counter at RL I finally learned that each color of DS has a preferred “regular” Ralph Lauren color to use as a base coat (e.g., from their Sand & Sea line). They say 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of base color, then spray….

ET

I was looking on the internet to see about coverage with Ralph lauren’s River Rock paint when I happened on this message board. After being so excited by the paint in the store, I began to doubt myself and almost returned it after reading all the horror stories on this site. Luckily, I didn’t retiurn it and took my chances. I LOVE it. It turned out great and it was not hard at ALL. I did a living room / dining room with the reddish Grand Teton and in the dining room under the chaor rail I used the dark brown Yosemite Range. The entire thing looks GREAT. So rich, deep and warm. the texture is amazing and very much like river rock! One of the posts here says that the wall doesn’t look anything like the swatch, but when my daughter held up the swatch to the wall, I couldn’t see theat she was holding anything – IT was exactly the same! I have never had a wall look SO much like the swatch! I did decide not to do it exactly like the can. I am too much of a painter to not feather my wet edge so although I mostly stuck with about 2 foot columns I feathered like crazy into my dry edge and back into my old wet edge. I was very light on my first coat and many places the primer showed through. (I used gray tinted Gripper primer.) On one wall the coverage was light enough that afetr 2 coats I deceided a 3rd might be warranted so I did do 3 coats on that wall. And my coverage was just like normal paint. I used about 1 gallon for each 400 square feet – just like regular. Not 100 square feet. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience so people thinking about it will consider it. My whole family LOVES it. We have leather furniture and lots of wood and it looks great. Also, my 11 year old daughter helped me through the whole thing and she is not an experienced painter. So, it really was not hard at all. All the best, happy painting.

Steve

Is it common for dark color paints (Navy blue in this case) to have extensive burnishing? I painted a week ago (interior) with a satin finish and if you merely touch the wall with your hand, it leaves a mark. It looks almost like chalking. I tried to wipe it off with a damp cloth, but then I ended up with blue tint on my towel, like the paint washed off. Is the paint still curing and if so, how long does this take. I’ve been painting around the house for over 20 years, with good success, so I don’t think it is anything I’m doing. This is my first experience w/ dark color. How do I prevent this?

Handyman
      Participant

People have posted over 1000 messages on our forum requesting help or offering assistance with this brand of paint. In reading the messages we have heard horror stories and stories of great ease. While it may be a complex paint to apply the customer service has been consistently helpful. They have set up a toll free number to answer any application questions for this paint at 1-800-379-7656. They have also developed a series of online videos to insure that your results look like they do in the store.
      http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/products/paint/default_howto.asp
      So whether you are trying to paint in Antique Leather, River Rock or Suede they can help.
      You are also welcome to browse our 1000+ posts from the top.http://discussions.tommmymac.us/wwwboard/messages/1111.html

*We are not in any way affiliated with the Ralph Lauren Company nor its products.
      If the link or site is no longer functioning you are encouraged to send a note to info@discussions.tommmymac.us and reference this URL.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.