Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      bexterinni61
      Participant

I have a Sears Kenmore gas range model number 72903. I’ve had it only a few months, and have mainly used the stove top only.

It was installed my a licensed plumber, and works/cooks/broils fine. My question is about the sounds it makes during operation of the oven, and if they are normal and expected.

After turning on the oven and setting the temperature, the oven begins to heat up. After several minutes, the oven makes a sound which can only be described as something like a soft boom – sort of between a whoosh and a soft boom. After a couple of more minutes of heating up, it may/may not repeat. Once it reaches it’s set temperature, it may or may not do it again.

While cooking a turkey for 3 hours the other day, it only did a couple of these soft booms early on, they did not continue through the entire cooking phase. I do not smell any gas when using the oven.

I don’t know whether this is “normal” or not, or if this is a hazard.

Thanks for anyone’s insights about this.

~bexterinni

HKestenholz
      Participant

It’s possible it’s a flexing of the oven sheet-metal as it expands while it gets warmer; which can be ‘normal’ though annoying.

http://www.HeatProUS.com energy businessmen’s knowledge

Yes, you really have to find out the MAKE and MODEL to get good answers. There IS more than one machine made.

Bruno1949
      Participant

My pretty much top-of-the-line Fridgaire gas stove does the same thing when the main oven burner kicks back on. A sort of WHOOSH sound as the flame lights. The fact that it happens a few times in three hours hints that it’s only happening when the oven needs to come back up to full temperature again.

As long as the gas meter is set properly and you have the proper sized gas line hooked up to the stove it might be normal. You can have your utility company check the meter and regulator for proper settings and the gas line size is normally part of the instructions for installing your stove. Mine, because of the five main burners and two ovens, required a 1/2″ line. Using a smaller line can cause problems.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.