• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      William Garmoe

I’m looking to convert a screened in porch to an enclosed room, but the slab is below the grade of the house. I’m considering pouring a new slab on top of the existing one. The existing one has cracks but has been stable for the 8 years we’ve owned the house. Right next to the house the slab sits slightly more than 2″ below the foundation of the house (also a slab). Can I pour a slab that thin? One contractor has bid the job but is not guaranteeing against cracking. I’m planning to lay ceramic tile on top of the new slab. If I can do it I was thinking of building permanent forms, hoping that they may serve as control joints and minimize cracking. If I can pour, should the slab float or be tied into the surrounding brick knee wall? And it would seem that a slab of 2-3″ thickness would be too thin for mesh.

An alternative that has been suggested is to build a subfloor on top of the existing slab up the the grade of the house foundation, but I’m worried about moisture, bugs, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

It would seem as though a subfloor on pressure treated 2x sleepers would be the best bet. Make sure to put a vapor barrier down to keep out the moisture (and bugs!)

dsc32571@hotmail.com

I WAS WONDERING ABOUT POURING ON TOP OF MY SLAB IT JUST RUNS AWAY ON ONE SIDE I WAS HOPING TO LIFT IT UP ON THE ONE SIDE TO MAKE THE WATER RUN DOWN THE MIDDLE OR TO LEVEL IT OUT BETTER.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.