Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Pouring cement footings when temp is below 0 degrees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave L

Greetings. I need to pour some footings underneath a structure this winter, as advised by an structural engineer. I’m wondering what type of mix contractors or anyone who knows might recommend for doing this. I heard that when contractors pour during these cold snaps they mix water with some form of chloride so the concrete cures naturally, rather than freezes. Can anyone give me some info here?

Thanks ahead of time and happy holidays!

Dave

bc

Contact your concrete company that will pour your footings. They will adjust the mix for the temperature and other factors for the concrete you want in your footing. Tell them that it is for a footing and not an above grade slab as ground temp is different than air temp.

bc

Just curious as to what you are pouring footings for, how big, how deep, etc and where you are at. Sounds like you are releveling a house. We get questions on those. Maybe you can help provide some insight. Thanks.

Rodo

The American Concrete Institute has guidelines for “cold weather concreting”. Your contractor should refer to this code. Calcium chloride is used to accelerate the set and development of strength of concrete. it offers advantages in cold-weather by speeding the set at low temperature and reducing the time that protection is necessary. Care must be taken on the amount to use as it can also increase drying shrinkage which may cause cracking.

Pauline

After several months, DEM has given us our variance to continue. The footings were poured in August. Now we want to pour the foundation for a modular home (which was finished in August). There is a foot of snow and ice in the hole. They are talking about calcium chloride to melt the ice. Is the foundation going to settle or is the ice under the footings going to make it unstable. Someone said that the settling of the house is going to be great. Please advise. I’m a wreck.

Unregistered-sberson66@optonline.net

What can one add to the mix to make it possible to work with cement in very cold weather? I had thought of anti-freeze or windshield washer liquid.
      stuart

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.