• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Leah

We have a large screened patio that originally had a drywall ceiling. After 8 years the joints are all visible and the coating is dropping off. We are looking for alternatives to repairing the drywall. Although I love the idea of a tongue and groove ceiling, we just can’t spring for the expense at this time. I saw the plybead at Home Depot and wondered if it could installed over the drywall or should the drywall be removed before istalling the plybead on the ceiling?

Don B

Unless the drywall is in really bad shape I see no need in removing it. Be sure to nail the plybead up securely by hitting the rafters. The only thing I don’t like about the ceiling application is the joints when you are stacking in over 8′ lengths. I belive the sides are grooved to form a repeating bead, but the 4′ ends are square cut. If you are stacking the pannels then you will need some sort of decorative moulding to hide the seam. Do not butt the pannels up tight against each other, leave them room to grow with different humidity levels.If you don’t the pannels will buckle. I would suggest a space about the thickness of a dime or nickle for expansion and contraction. You might paint behind the panels, where the groves meet on the 8′ lengths, the same color as the grooves to help concealthe gap where it is not noticeable.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.