Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      George

The water supply lines under my house and an attached apartment are poly butyl
      which I understand are no longer made. A plumber that was doing some other work,
      recommended that they be replaced with what I think he call “tek” plastic water supply
      lines. How big a job would this be, and is it something I could tackle myself? I hate
      sweat soldering copper pipe, and would like doing it even less while lying on my back
      in the crawl space under the house. How is the plastic attached to the existing
      copper lines, and would that have to be soldered? I’m guessing that all the plastic
      connections would be cemented together.

Thanks.

By the way, I like the old message board better.

Bruce M

Hi George
      You are right to be concerned about this water pipe. The key concern to you is the chlorine level in your water. I can’t recall specifically what the parts per million threshold is, but I think any water with over 7 ppm chlorine is a candidate for poly butylene pipe cement to fail…meaning the pipes joints will eventully burst. I’m not 100% sure on this and am doing if from memory only…so you might want to check.

As to replacing the existing pipe….copper is really your best bet. I know, sweating the joints in a crawl space in between floor joists is not one of life’s more pleasant jobs….and I dislike it too. But in the long run, copper will be the most dependable, least likely to fail and virtually maintenace free (provided it doesn’t freeze 🙂

However, if you absolutley must reinstall plastic, I use CPVC, which is approved in most areas for hot and cold water. It glues up with its own special (yellow) adhesive and goes together just like PVC pipe…so its quite easy. They make a copper-to-cpvc union that you sweat onto the end of the copper run and then glue your CPVC to the other end.

Hope this helps

Best

Bruce M

Judy Moreland

How do I submit a claim and have my pb pipe

replaced?

Michael Robokoff

I have a camper on a lot with a new well. The well has 1 black plastic pipe that runs from the well preasure tank to some spigots by the camper. I have to disconnect this black pipe in the fall to drain and store it to protect it from freezing and rodents. The pipe is connected by slipping the pipe over a connector and held with a pipe clamp. The problem is This is a fair amount of work connecting and disconnecting The fittings are tight and some damage occurs from the connecting and disconnecting. I was wondering if there are any connectors I can use that would simplify this procedure. Some kind of quick connectors would be wonderful.

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, or information on how to do this.

–Mike Robokoff

Sherrill Denning

I had my plumber install new Quest pipe in my home approximately six years ago. I have been using a large amount of water since the new installation. Recently the same plumber, after discussion about a hidden leak, advised me that there was a class action suit with this pipe. That the complete new plumbing that is affected by this pipe would be paid for in this suit. That I needed to file suit.

I have not been able to secure iformation about it.

Can anyone advise me whom and where to make contact.

Thanks, Sherrill

GARY W.

HOW CAN I GET INFORMATION ABOUT DAMAGES CAUSED BY POLLYBEAUDILANE PIPE INSIDE MY MOBILE HOME?THANK YOU.WOULD YOU HAVE INFORMATION OR TELEPHONE NUMBER IF SO PLEASE PROVIDE.THANK YOU

Gary Moreland

The number to call is 1-800-392-7591 or go to http://www.pbpipe.com to see if you are still covered. According to them there is a ll yr window for MobileHomes. Is it possible to sue the previous owners for not disclosing the problem? Is there another class action law suite we can get in on?

Nancy Kass

I live in Denver and purchased a townhome 9/00 with the PB Pipes. The Suits I have looked into state you needed to have filed within 13yrs from installation which was 1983.

Do you know of any Suits that would cover me?

Ronald Shimko

We have found that we have polypipe and heared of the recall. What do we do now?

John and Betty Parte

How much does it cost to replace the Quest plumbing in my mobile home? Our home is approximately 1440 sq ft. It has two baths, utility room and bathroom?

How do we get compensation for the faulty pipe?

Rick Hathaway

We have had a drought in South Georgia for the prior few years, but have gotten a lot of rain this year. My yard has been somewhat mushy, especially in an area between the pump house and house, but at first I thought it was due just to the rain. The rain stopped about 7-10 days ago and it is still wet. I gathered data on how fast the pressure is bleeding off the water tank, and have concluded that I am losing 1.25 gallons per hour. I think it is in the plastic feeder to the house, based on where the yard seems wettest. The house is 30 years old and I do not know where the various utility lines run. Any advice on how I should handle this? I am not Mr. Fixit on most things, but this sounds like the sort of repair that could be expensive. I thought if I could find where the feeder connected with the house (and how to find this I am not sure, short of digging along the old pipe to see where it goes), then I should just replace it rather than attempt to find and repair the leak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I suspect it is probably best for me to just hire someone. Thanks.

Rick

Jeff Smith

Where can more info be obtained about the lawsuit and replacement suggestions for a double wide. Any help would be appreciated. signed….leakin-a-lot. Thanks in advance.

Debbie Bell

i just called the 800 number, they informed me, that if the home was built after july 95’…it is not covered in this lawsuit…they were ordered in nov 95′ to stop using this…but the lawsuit went through the manufacturing date of the pipes in july 95’….so anything used after july 95 is not covered in this..

Debbie Denney

I understand there is a class action lawsuit against this pipe but I’ve been told there is a 10 year clause my blue poly was installed in my house in 1991 and they say I’m past the time limit. What if anything can I do to get this paid for replacing it

James Stephens

I have the same problem, I am currently looking into it; check out this website hopefully this helps – good luck – http://www.pbpipe.com/index1.htm

-j.s.-

Sherri Burton

If your house was built before December 1986, sorry to say you missed out on the class action suit for quest polybutal pipes. Just called on my house built in 1984. If anyone knows any other way to get in, please let me know.

Steve and Amy Boggs

This weekend we had a large area in our garage that was drenched with water and had mold growing on the cinderblock foundation. After my husband went in the crawlspace, located the leak in the “grey pipe”, he also noticed after pulling away the insulation that while someone was in the shower that there was a steady leak there in the elbow joints, and all the other joints as well. How scary was this to see as we thought everything was dry as a bone in our crawl space. My home was built in 1993, and we were under the impression that at the time everything was fine. Not the case. Please advise me on what we are to do to rectify this serious problem. We have a plumber coming to the house today to take a look, but we need to act on this problem as soon as possible. Thank you for your promptness in handling this matter.

Amy and Steve Boggs

5901 Offshore Court

Wilmington, NC 28409

1-910-793-3154

Keith Schellhardt

On April 11th, 2004 the water line from the meter to my house burst. Upon excavation the contractor found that it was Poly Blue line and advised that this material had known brittlement problems in the past and recommended I research further. I came across a website URL http://pbpipe.com which is the CPRC Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center. They supposedly are the administrators for the class action suit against the manufacturers of the Poly Blue water lines. They informed me that my situation does not fall under the time restraints of the lawsuit and stated that any action would be my responsibility………….ANY SUGGESTIONS?

JAMESBOWMAN@prodigy.net

How do you identify Polybutal Pipeing in a Manfactured Home…….There are other Grey Pipes that are not Polybutal….The average consumer is being mislead about this Grey Pipe Scare..

Doug Johnston 7/15/04

I bought a home in 2001. The previous owners stated that the home was 8 years old. That puts it around 1993. I discovered that it is plumbed with poly butyl pipe throughout. Several of my neighbors have this pipe and has begun to suffer from leaks. They told me of the lawsuit and I want to know if I am eligible to be part of the suit?

Handyman
      Participant

The Cox vs. Shell settlement involves certain polybutylene plumbing systems installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. Claimants may be eligible for a replacement of their plumbing system at no charge and/or a leak expense reimbursement if they qualify. Claimant must presently own or have previously owned a home plumbed with a polybutylene plumbing system and they must have experienced a qualifying leak. Claimant can complete a claim eligibility form on line at http://www.pbpipe.com or request a claim eligibility form from by calling 1-800-392-7591 or by writing to the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) at PO Box 869006, Plano, TX 75086-9006. The CPRC will review the form and determine the claimant’s eligibility. For more details visit http://www.pbpipe.com

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.