Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum plaster (or anything else could be applied directly over block.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      David

The basement of my house (circa 1961) opens to ground level on the back. It is used like (or more) any other room in the house. The walls are constructed of concrete block with outletts and switch plates flush with block. The windows are very large and I feel the insulation is suffiecient. We even have crown moulding. The rooms would be great if the walls didn’t look like block.

I would like to know if a plaster (or anything else could be applied directly over block.

Any other suggestions?

lawnboy

I don’t know a lot about this stuff but I know that they use it a lot…it’s a hard dense board that they put on then spray a texture over it…others may be able to help, but I do know that it looks nice…and we use it in the north.

peter the plasterer

you can plaster these walls with carlite bonding but if it is an insulation matter I would look at using a thermal board but these are quite expensive . Alternatively batten the wall fix fibreglass between battens then fix plasterboard to battens I hope this is of some help .

peter the plasterer

yes you can plaster block walls but you seem more concerned with the insulation of this room .There are two methods to choose from .1 to fix thermal boards to the wall, these boards are very expensive . 2 batten the walls out fix fibreglass between the battens and then fix plasterboard to the batten .Ihope this has been helpful

GARY

DAVID WE HAVE PLASTERED OVER BLOCK WALLS WITH VENEER PLASTER.IT IS A PREMIXED LYME AND PLASTER MIX.IT WILL LEAVE YOU WITH A POLISHED FLUSH SURFACE ,NO NEED TO MODIFY ELECTRICAL,OR WOOD TRIMS .BUT GET A (REAL)PLASTERER TO DO IT.

Toni R. Crismon

This is an Earth House. The main living area is below ground. There is an addition above ground. What can we do to make it look larger above ground? It is a block house with stucco finish on the outside. It currently is a gray color with brown trim. We would like to liven it up with color. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Toni

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.