• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • #14653
      Paul Pothier

      I am planning to make some renovations to my front hallway and I want to create a panelled look, as found in many old victorian houses. I am planning to paint these panels so I am not looking forward to building panels with wood. I remember seeing somewhere, a gypsum board that had panels molded in it and this was specifically designed as a decorative panel. I have not been able to find these anywhere. Does anyone have an idea who make these and where I could get some???


    • #83743

      Home Depot carries sheets of “paneling” with groves in it to imitate beaded board panelling, if this is what you are thinking of.

      However, I am currently installing beaded board wainscotting in my kitchen. I looked at the panel board at several places where is has been used (including Wendy’s!) and didn’t think it really looked as nice as the real thing, so I am using the tongue and groove beaded board which isn’t really so much work. Home Depot also sells this so you can look at the two and compare. Since I am also painting it, I am using the cheapest pine, rather than the expensive oak. I am using panelling adhesive to make the job go faster.

      There is also out now really nice raised Victorian wallpaper which makes a lovely wainscotting. I plan to try it in my upstairs hall. It’s paintable also. Another choice to consider!

      Good luck with your project!

    • #162513
      Iris Kellum

      We are buying a house that was built in the mid 60’s that has mapel paneling 100% thourgh the entire house including the bathrooms, with white tile on half the wall from the bottom up half the wall and paneling on the top.

      We are putting down 18 x 18 cermaic tile that looks lie off white marbel and beighe veins running througt it. Plan on using area rugs in all rooms.

      Hope you have a mental picture now, of all this mapel paneling in this ranch house of about 2000 square feet.

      We don’t want to have to remove all the walls, but have notice that on all the do it yourself shows, painting seems to be the only thing they do on paneling.

      What options can you suggest other than painting?

      Can we clean and spray with the texture that is used on drywall?

      Also what can we do with cellotex ceilings. Can we seal the water stains and spray them with texture?


      Iris Kellum

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.