Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Kim

My entire house contains 5 rooms plus a basement ALL are panelled. I don’t have the physical strength to remove it and replace it with drywall and I don’t have the skill to be able to fix what may need fixing under the panelling. Is there a fairly easy way – WITHOUT – it looking like I painted panelling to paint my walls so it looks as though I have regular house walls. I have seen painted panelling and I don’t want that look. I just want to paint my walls and get out of this BOX. I’ve heard about filling in the lines with spackle or plaster, but then do I also plaster the entire wall before painting or priming or painting or ???

HELP PLEASE HELP

Unregistered-BobF

Filling the grooves with compound or caulk will not work well; either one will shrink and the compound may not stick well. The easiest way to get a smooth look is to cover the paneling with wallpaper liner horizontally. It is made especially to cover problem walls. Size the paneling with sizing concentrate mixed with water and use the recommended paste. Let that dry thoroughly before priming. For living room and bedrooms, use a latex primer like Zinsser’s Bulls Eye 1-2-3 and then a latex flat paint. For kitchen and other wet rooms, use their Cover Stain (oil) primer and an oil enamel.
      There is more on painting on my website at http://www.bobf.info.

jackie61
      Participant

I too had that problem in a family room. I opted to paint. The other option is to wall paper. They have a paper that you could apply first to cover up the grooves in the panel. Then you wall paper over that. The other option is to use a textured wall paper that would minimize the grooves. I went to my local wallpaper/paint store the were more than happy to help out with suggestions. Good luck.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.