• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Pulvermacher

I have wood paneling in my living room, I have a very old house, and would like to paint over the paneling because it is so dark. I can not replace the paneling because the original owner used it when he insulated the rooms to cover styro-foam. I want to retain the old look too. I have heard there are techniques that dont require filling the groves. Can you give me any ideas or solutions?
      Thankyou,Michelle

BobB

Well Michelle, I’m not a professional painter, and I’m somewhat surprised that someone more knowledgeable than I hasn’t answered your post, but since i’ve done it, I’ll give it a shot.
      Ordinarilly I would suggest drywall over the paneling, however since you want to retain the old look here is what I would do:
      1) first lightly sand the entire surface with a medium sandpaper to score any glossiness for better adhesion. 2) Thoroughly clean the wall surface with a cloth dampened with thinner. 3) Paint with a (and this part is important) good quality oil based primer. I would go to a local paint store that sells to local painting contractors, and not to one of the “super” stores. 4) Lastly apply the best quality flat or satin finish wall paint that you can buy, in your choice of colors. Being an engineer. I’m naturally a cheapskate, and have been known to pinch pennies until they holler, however I have learned this lesson the hard way. The best paint to use is the best paint you can buy, and the local professionals demand the best.
      Good Luck
      BobB

ELSA

I had really dark panelling in my bedrooma and decided to paint over it. First I applied a coat of “Kilz” (spelling?) or you can use a similar product. This will help the paint stick to the panelling. (Make sure you get the Kilz in the groves fairly well.) I then painted over this with a vanilla color. I love the results! It looks very cottage-like and really brightened up the room. I’m no expert but I’m also not afraid to dig into a project and make some mistakes (which this wasn’t one) In fact I liked the look so much I did the same thing to my living room walls. I did also re-paint the trim in both rooms white.

Mona Ellender

My mother and father have just passed away last month. I want to remodel their house. The whole house is paneling. Any idea’s what I can do? Should I paint all the paneling one color? Or do different colors? Or should I remove the paneling and put drywall? I need help. The house needs serious updating.

Mark

We had wood walls not panelling. we filled in the cracks between the wood with spackling, wood filler, then primed, but the cracks keep coming back. What can I do with these wood walls without drywalling over them? Is there anything I can use between panels that does not crack?

Michelle Haynie

I have the same questions as mostly everyone I have read about. I want to paint the paneling in my home that is an old dark brown in color and is approximately 20 years old. What are the necessary steps I would need to take in order to paint over top this paneling? Thank you in advance for your help.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.