• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Vicki

We just purchased a house that was built in 1977 and has not been updated since. The cabinets are in excellent condition but have that dark stain that was used so much then. I want to paint the cabinets a high gloss white inside and out but I’m not sure how or where to start and I want to make sure the paint doesn’t chip off. Any ideas???

john ohio

Vicki,

first step is to make sure your cabinets are clean clean clean. Next, I would get some sand paper and lightly sand the cabinets. You don’t need to apply too much pressure just a very light sanding. Next, I would use an OIL base primer on all the areas to be painted. Follow this up with a latex acrylic paint. Use a good brush or a foam roller with the acrylic paint. I used this method on my cabinets and it has lasted for five years and counting.

Steve:

1) Remove hardware and knobs and such.
      2) Get some vinegar or strong cleaner and remove all grease, grime, and dirt.
      3) Get some fine grit sand paper and scuff up the surface to make the paint stick better. Sand in one direction and again, not hard just to take the “slick” off the wood.
      4) fix all holes, cracks, and other blems.
      5) Apply a good primer like Zinzer BIN. Apply a light coat and allow to dry. Then re coat and allow to dry. Apply about three coats or until the old color is hidden.
      6) Lightly sand now, but not to remove any primer, just to scuff it up again.
      7) Now, add your finish coat. Get a good brand of paint. Not one from a home center. Remember, its better to apply many coats than few thick coats. I would apply two coats for sure. If you have a spray rig or even a wagoner spray gun, I would do this on the inside.
      8) I would use a latex paint in semi gloss or enamel sheen. Remember, oil based paint will yellow after a while and it will chip. This is why I am recommending latex paint.

Karen

Funny you should ask about a 1977 house W/dark cabinets. I live in such a house and have lived here since it was built. At the time, it seemed to
      be the thing I liked but now I guess it was time for a change. I started to strip the stain off 36
      cabinet doors but it became too overwhelming so I decided to use elbow grease and sand them I more or less ruffed them up real good. I then primed them, sanded again, and painted them with a semi gloss off white paint. Magnolia petal.They turned out beautiful. Because the cabinets were all in great shape, I chose only to paint the doors, leaving the cabinets themselves dark. I put new knobs on everything and what a difference. I love the contrast with the dark background. This I did a year ago and they still look good.This was my biggest concern with kids everywhere… I’m working on doing some stencils on them next. Good luck !!

Tom Brunn

I am planning on painting my kitchen cabinets.

I see the glazing technique used on new cabinets and would like to know how to get these results as a do it yourself homeowner?

Melissa Bradshaw

I’m remodeling my kitchen and want to glaze my kitchen cabinets using antique white as my base coat. Do i need to use a clear or dark glaze to get the old antique look? What is the process in glazing (from start to finish) kitchen cabinets?

Melissa Bradshaw

I’m remodeling my kitchen and want to glaze my kitchen cabinets using antique white as my base coat. Do i need to use a clear or dark glaze to get the old antique look? What is the process in glazing (from start to finish) kitchen cabinets?

Mary

We recently bought a house – the kitchen cabinets were refaced at some point and they look fine. However, the insides of the cabinets are probably orginal to the house (40+ years old) and they look disgusting! We had the house professionally cleaned before we moved in so cleanliness is not an issue. But they look dark and dingy and dirty and just plain awful. Do I have any options for the insides of the cabinets, short of pulling them out and starting from scratch?

Nancy Futrell

I have cherry kitchen cabinets that I would like to apply a dark brown or black glaze. Can you offer step by step insturctions, including where I can purcahse the glaze?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.