besides speed? How do I know if I need 2 coats? PLUMBING:
      How do I free those frozen oval shut-off valves under
      my bathroom faucet? They won’t turn and I don’t want to
      force them. Second, how do get rid of the high pitch
      hum when I turn my water on? –Happens sometimes, not
      always, but sounds like a sustained note of a french
      horn and it’s loud. (stop laughing) Thanks, Carl

Moderator, Steve

spray painting: if done right, if the right tip, if an experienced sprayer, and if prep done right, I feel that spray will give you a better coating and definately a pretter, even finish.

You are really getting more paint on the surface.

But, the bottom line again is, the quality of paint. This is what will tell the overall results. use paint from a paint dealer only, not a home center.

Plumbing: freeing that stuck valve can be easy and can be a disaster. I would first shut off the water in case the worse happens. Get two cresent wrenches, one to hold the actual pipe and one to assist in turning the valve. spray with wd 40, and ever so gently work the valve one way then the next. If you over muscle it, the pipe will break and its plumber time.

Once the valve is open, then shoot more wd 40 and work it in. Then never let this valve go without turning some for this long of a period. A stuck valve during an emergence is actually no valve at all. Going to the street to turn off the water will allow the damage to already take hold inside the home.

Scott Duhamel

Hi Carl,

I have a question or two regarding CANVAS CEILING’s.

1) Cleaning – I believe the best solution to clean these ceilings is a mild soap and water baased solution. (Is this correct?)

2) If the ceiling is still yellow and cracked, how best would I refinish them?

Audrey

How can I replace a pressure gauge on the pressure tank in my home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Roth

does too much soap cause water to shoot out of a sink when doing a wash

Rich Ellinger

I have a stubborn odor emitting from my sump hole. The odor is the same as when you find a pit dry, but mine is full of water. I have already tried to reduce the odor with bleach and flushing out the system but the odor just keeps coming back.

Any suggestions?

Pat

Hello:

I have been dealing with renters that seem to have alot of toilet overflow problem. We have exhausted what is being put down the pipes, but to no avail, nothing unusual. They are excellent tenants and I believe they try to keep things up to par. Rooter Man visited and mentioned that the toilet may be the cause. This is hard to believe because the whole bathroom including the toilet is only a 1 1/2 old. I asked some plumbers at home depot and they seem to say that a toilet is a toilet. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Pat

Jennifer Swenson

We want to move our washer and dryer downstairs there really isn’t a drain right in the same room where the washer and dryer will be but there is a 3 inch pipe that drains the shower and the toliet(in the upstairs) right where the washer will be so the question is can we tap into that pipe for our drain and is there any codes we would be violating by doing so. We live in South Jordan, Utah 84095 Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks

Janice Boyd

What would cause the water pressure to completely stop to the point where it is dripping when you turn the faucet on? Any answers?

cameron wilson

i have running water,but ihave no hot ,it doesent

even come on .why does cold water come on ,and

hot water doesent.cold water line ,but no hot water line.

please help ,it not hot water heater ,because if was the hot water heater i would still have water

coming out of both lines.

thank you

Ed Mac Donald

I called a plumber to repair what I thought were three small water leaks under the house (crawl space). The house is about 65 years old. He found several more but also that the piping was a complete mess, copper pipe joined with galvanized etc, He recommended a complete repiping job up to the fixtures. That would have required making holes in bathroom tile that couldn’t be replaced so I decided only to repipe up to the risers. The question is to use copper pipe or CPVC. The risers are galvanized. The additional cost for the copper is $800.00. Is the extra cost for installing copper worth it?

Thanks

steffen

My wife and i are going to remodel our kitchen and i would like to know (from a plumbers perspective) which would be easier.

1. Moving the kitchen sink and dishwasher from one wall to another approx 13 feet or moving them

to a center island?

2. Is it easier for the plumber to have the cabinets in place before making the move or to have the room empty with a close approximation of

where the cabinets and sink would go?

Thanks

jackie richardson

I just finished painting the cement walls in my basement which is directly underneath my kitchen. My question is not really how to fix but if there is a specific item that can be used to cover the black drainage piping that runs down the basement wall into the floor. The walls I painted are white semi gloss. I was going to improvise something. Like the explandable white plastic and wire hose I have on my dryer vent. It’s because that piping is kind of dirty,greasy, and rusty looking pipe that I don’t want to bump up against. Wasn’t sure if covering the pipe would hurt anything.

Thank you.

Brenda

I resently purchased a house. I’m planning on painting the interior, however, I’m finding that the last paint job was done very poorly. The paint is pealing right off the walls and there are alot of runs, drips & streaks. My concern is that if I paint right over the existing paint, being that this paint is already pealing off…will the coats I apply on top peal off as well? Should I prep the walls before I paint? What preparations should I do? (the walls are Red Wood will probably many layers of paint on it)(house built in 1962). Any suggestions & advise would be greatly appreciated..

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.