Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      thiggy
      Participant

It is my turn to ask for assistance. My house is traditional masonry stucco. I had it repainted about two years ago and recently noticed paint peeling in a few places. I got up on my ladder planning to scrape the loose paint and touch up. When I started scraping, the paint started coming off in large flakes. It was then I realized that my painter had not properly prepped the surface. The old surface was chalking significantly, causing the newer coat to fail. (I have no recourse with the painter, as I cannot locate him.) What is the proper way to remove chalking paint? Both the old and more recent coats were latex. Will pressure washing do the trick? I am sure that it will remove the more recently applied coat of paint, but what about the chalking underneath? Do you have any other suggestions for my situation?

Faron79
      Participant

Sorry about the difficulties you’re having!

Yes, chalking paint can ruin the adhesion of even top-notch primers, etc.
      * Try the P/W on some of it, to see how easily the paint will come off.
      * Zinsser’s Jomax cleaner is decent for exteriors.
      * Pump-spray the Jomax on the house…from the bottom-up.
      * Usually, bad chalking needs to be scrubbed-off…probably with a long wand, like a car-washing pole.
      * Scrub from bottom-up too!
      * Now you can haul out the pressure-washer!!
      * Don’t have pressure too high (less than 1,000 psi!!), or you’re destroying the substrate; and keep the tip a foor away.
      * Drytime…hmmmm…you’re driving water into wall…probably a WEEK or more!!
      * Rinse from top-down.

Finally ready for a top-notch primer!!!
      * Buy the best Exterior Latex you can find…C2 Exterior, ACE-Royal, Good-‘ol 123, etc.
      * Same thing with the Topcoats…THE BEST LATEX you can afford. Don’t spend under $20/gal.
      * 2 FULL COATS…nothing less.
      * This may raise some eyebrows, but I’d use a Satin-sheen for the main body. Flats hold dirt too easily, especially on Stucco.

Good luck Buddy!
      Keep us posted…

Faron

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.