• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob

We have wonderful old knotty pine plank panelling in our living room, built in 1941. My questions is what is the stain of this wood, it seems to me that the stain used cannot be duplicated because of age and fireplace smoke and dirt etc… Any thoughts on recreating this color on new pieces? Also, some of the pieces are pulling apart, any advice on getting these tongue and groove pieces back together?

Henry in MI

Hi, Bob. Color matching is certainly possible and there are a lot of tricks and tools that are not generally available. Beyond that, there is a lot more art than science involved and it is impossible to even think about telling you how to go about this from a verbal description. I suggest that you call in a pro who can see what needs to be done or at least give you some options and costs.

As far as the gaps in the T&G, are you noticing any variation between winter and summer? You should. The wood might move up to 5% or so across its width with changes in humidity. The T&G is normally nailed only at the tongue edge and it should be free to move with the changes or you could experience cracking of the boards. Can you tell us a little more about it, particularly the seasonal change?

Henry in MI

Bob

Thanks Henry,
      If nothing else you made me feel better about things. It’s our first house so we’re kind of paranoid.

The spaces between the boards do seem to get larger in the winter, I’m glad you pointed out that it’s a good and planned thing, otherwise I may have gone crazy adding nails and doing harm rather than good.

Any additional care advice would be welcome.

Bob

Anne

To finish a renovation project (in Athens, GA), we need to purchase some unfinished pine panelling (ca. 15 feet wide by at least 6 ft high) which could be stained to match existing older pine panelled walls. We’re astonished to discover that Home Depot, Lowes etc only carry stuff which has been coated and will not take a stain. Any ideas of how to find a carry-out or order-from source in NE Georgia will be most appreciate!.

Thomas Allen

Help. I have knotty pine in my basement.It have a dark brown color. Is that wood something to save. My wife thanks that we can sell the pine, we can get money, it that true. I like to take it down help….. thanks Thomas

Jeff Weber

I am wondering about a bluish gray stain that I have in my v-grooved knotty pine that I have installed in our house. Is there any way of removing this stain with a bleach or wood cleaner? And also what will happen when I apply stain to this area?

Thank You

Jeff

M. Korde

Help! There is knotty pine panelling in excellent condition in our family room. As nice as it is, we would like to antique it or bring it up to date somehow. If we attempt this, would we use acrylic or latex paint and would it come off if we (or a future buyer) would want the look back? The grey stone fireplace and the aged varnish on the pine (carmel in color) just don’t seem to go together. Thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.