• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bill OH

Found out today that the heat exchanger is hopelessly clogged on my hot water “boiler” due to lack of maintenance by the prior owner. We just moved in in April and were unaware of any problems until needed for this heating system. Advise was to replace the old unit (looks to be 20 to 30 years old at least, maybe more) rather than risk taking it apart to clean it due to corrosion, etc. Of course the “home warranty” does not cover any of this (there is an oxymoron if there ever was one). We just put in an A/C system and ductwork. Would going to an oil fired furnace be a less expensive option over time vs. replacing the boiler?

Mike

Your heat exchanger can be cleaned by an honest heating contractor. I’ve never heard of a hopelessly clogged ht. exchanger on a boiler.I would also keep the hot water system and not install an oil fired furnace . Get a second opinion from another contractor.There is more money in a replacement for a contractor than a repair . If your exchanger isn’t cracked and doesn’t leak it should be o.k. how efficient is your burner ,what percentage and how old is the burner ? burners can be replaced ,just the burner.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.