Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum New windows for my house – recommendations

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      trailsguy
      Participant

My house is 38 years old, in southern Wisconsin. The single glazed, double hung windows are very leaky around the tracks. A few years ago I replaced the combination storms (on the outside), and the leakage has slowed a little, but now there is a lot of condensation on the inside of the storms in the winter.

I would like to replace my windows myself with new efficient double hung, double glazed windows.

Can anyone recommend a window supplier that makes windows that will slip into my existing openings? I would like to do it this way in order to avoid removing the trim, inside and out.

Thanks.

Handyman
      Participant

And to stop the wind for coming in you will want to replace the whole thing. Buying a custom piece to fit your sash may actually be mor expensive than replacing as a whole.

The NFRC rates just about every model of window. A home from the 70s is most likely to have standard size window so your choices should be plentiful.

Here is a link to their site:
      http://www.nfrc.org/

Greg
      Webmaster

Bruno1949
      Participant

The windows were double pane High E glass from Park Avenue and I love the windows BUT on windy days, 40 mph plus, I still feel air leaking around the trim. The problem with replacing just the sashes without disturbing the trim inside and out is that you can’t get a windproof seal. I’m going to start pulling the Oak trim stops and using insulation and foam to seal the gaps that I know exist behind them. I don’t blame the installers or the windows. It’s just impossible to fill all the little gaps if you don’t have access to them and that requires taking off trim on one side or the other.

My windows were anything but standard sizes, tall and narrow Arts & Crafts style, but yours are probably a standard size. As suggested, it might be cheaper and better to replace the entire window and frame so you can seal it up properly. Once you figure out the easiest way to pull the trim without damage you might have to spend an extra hour or two on each window but it’s time well spent.

I noticed an immediate difference in street noise and better climate control so just new inserts sure help, but the breezes still come through a little. Spend the time to do it right. In the end you will be much happier.

Almost any maker has a line of do-it-yourself windows that can be installed as a unit. Anderson, Marvin, and Pella are just a few. Just shop around and pick the best you can afford. Caulk and seal all the gaps on all four sides and things should be fine.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.