• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rick Hollmer

I recently installed a ceiling fan in my son’s room. I tore out the old electrical box that was incorrectly installed and I placed a 13′ 2×4 across the two studs in the attic. I screwed the fan directly into this stud as stated in the instructions. Now the fan is giving off this low pitched hum on the highest setting. On setting 2 it give of a louder, deeper hum and on setting 1 it gives off an unbearable deep bass of a hum that reverberates throughout the house. I took the fan back and replaced it with another one. Same result.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I’ve tried to lessen the noise by buffering the metal to wood with some foam tape, but that only makes it slightly less than it was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rick

Steve M

I to have had that problem. And the problem was that I bought a $30 fan. All cheap ones are loud. Was yours cheap?

Leticia

Ususally because it’s new… keep it on for about a day. You can turn if off if you leave the home and just turn it back on when you get back. It’s not that it’s cheap… just needs to get the bearing lubrication going… You should be fine… also check the Wall Speed Control: If you are using a light dimmer switch or an infinitely variable fan speed control on your motor you will often hear humming. Fan motors should have either a set three speed or four-speed wall control. To determine how much sound is being caused by your control, take the switch out of the wall and supply live power to the fan and control the fan by the pull chain. Any sound which went away was being caused due to interference by the switch.

Unregistered-Rick Hollmer

It stopped humming. We heard a loud thump on night and it just stopped humming. We are watching it really close for any problems, but it seems to have stopped about 85% of the humming. Go figure.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.