Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Clyde

Ok, is this legal to code?

Breaker – switch (master) – light fixture – switch (A) – light fixture (A)

This is in my basement. I want to hit the master switch to shut all lights off in my basement but I want to be able to switch on and off light fixture A. The master switch is a 4-way but I don’t think that matters. Light A will only go on if both the master and switch A are both ON. I want to be able to dim A but not dim the whole circuit but still turn everything off with the master switch.

HKestenholz
      Participant

I’m not an electrician, so ?I don’t usually get too involved in answering questions best left to that profession. But … it is an interesting thought. It would seem that so long as the amps running through the switch doesn’t exceed the ratings of the connected wire and the switch, the first switch in line cuts the rest off, creating no problem from that point on. Switching the rest of them on or off should and would do nothing as they are no longer passing electricity, which is reasonable to assume – if you like that word.

Perhaps someone or electrician can know of some other reason to avoid the situation.

http://www.heatpro.us energy businessmen’s knowledge

Yes, you really have to find out the MAKE and MODEL to get good answers. There IS more than one machine made.

Billhart
      Participant

In fact some lights have there own switch builtin. So in affect you have the same thing.

problemasypreguntas
      Participant

The other day I plugged in my shop vac, tuned it on and all of a sudden the power turned off, lights, mind you this is the 2nd floor where there is a full bath and 2 bedrooms. Part of my bedroom power does not work, the 2nd bedroom power is totaly out and so is the bathroom.

The first floor areas such as part of another bedroom but the power on the wall that connects to the kitchen does work and so does all the power in the kitchen, dining room and living room as well as the basement.

My husband went to check on the circuit to re-set but it did not work. He turned everything off, flipped all the switches and turned them back on.

He now has a circuit tester-model grt-800 and has attempted to do some testing and he sees the different lights go on, on outlets with power and those with none. Now he is stuck is does not know what to do.

How can you help us?

MistressEll
      Participant

wiring two light fixtures in series (a.k.a. daisy chaining, i.e. as in xmas tree lights) even if a single-throw switch is between the two light fixtures, would not be legal.

The light fixtures would need to be wired in series-parallel.

Regarding dimming only the one light which in your design would be only controlled by your master or all off switch first switch, for the master switch loop, then series parallel to two switch loops, one off of dimmer, the other off of a single pole, single throw switch. In order to accomplish this I think you would actually need two regular “one way” switches and one dimmer control. Either way you can’t wire the two light fixtures in series interupeted by a simple switch. You don’t need a four-way switch or a three-way switch at all.

You could wire this by having a regular single throw single pole switch as your master on-off control, then two series parallel branch switch loops, each one to a single switch loop to single light fixture, one via a dimmer, the second via a simple single throw single pole switch. You can accomplish this so both your “master off” stiwch and your dimmer switch are at location A and your sometimes on, sometimes off, but always off if the “master” is off switch is at location B, or at location A.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.