• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Rose

Please help me out. If anyone can suggest any books, articles or other references, please respond. I need all the help I can get.

Ken

What kind of remodeling are you planning on doing? Much of it would be similar to remodeling a house. Two big differences between a house and a moble home are the type of foundation and wallboard material. If you are adding a room, you’ll need to find someone who is knowledgable about mating a cement block/wood foundation to a steel one. Were you planning on installing drywall? Should work. Just be prepared for the dust and mess. A modular home saleslady told me you could put drywall tape over the seams of the wall vinyls and smooth it out with joint compound but I would think that it wouldn’t adhere very well. I don’t think I would try it. Many people with moble homes around here (northeast ohio) have regular truss style roofs put on their moble homes. Then they can put additional insulation up there and save on heating bills. Good luck.

Barb S.

I purchased a mobile home once which had been remodeled. The owner had removed almost all of the paneling and replaced it with regular wallboard with a textured coating. It looked great and felt more like a real “house”. I loved it. That might be something to try.

Robert

Try this. FOREMOST INS CO. They Have Information on maintence & improvement`s. Phone # is 1-800-853-7119. They are one of the largest mobile home insurance co`s. Hope this helps you.

Brad

Maunfactured Homes(mobilehomes) manufactured after June 15, 1976 are constructed under Title 24 of the Code of Federal Rgulations, Part 3280 (24CFR 3280), also know as the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974. This was done to enable any mobilehome to be transported to any state and meet the same standards. The state you are in has the authority for enforcement of these federal regulations. I don’t know where you can get a copy, you might try HUD. The regulations generally follow the building codes, although there are many differences. In California, the state Dept. of Housing and Community Development has jurisdiction over the reconstruction, remodeling or alteration of all mobilehomes throughout the state regardless of there location (in a park or private property). I suggest you contact your local Building Dept. for the proper agency to contact. Hope this helps

Cleve Bancroft

I would like to know the best way to put another roof over a exesting one. the roof that is on there is a pitched and medal.

cleve

Georgia Lewis

We are trying to replace a 1960’s style bathroom sink in our master bath, (regular house), and we need one with the drawers on the left side. Unfortunately, the only kind we can find (home depot, Orchard supply, etc in California) is the kind with the drawers on the right. Is there a remodel company dealing with mobile homes that can send a catalog so that we may order one? Every store we have looked at here does not sell them.

Dom Smestad

So left job to roof Moble Home all over U.S.Then show the local roofers and let them handle the product.Free imformation visit http://www.donsmestad.com

And asI Bless God and People First and me last wow wow wow

GodBless America, better yet America Bless God

Don Smestad

Gina

What do I do! I dont know where to start? Does anyone have any sujestions? I am single mom of two children and I work full time. So I dont have alot of time and I brought this home at a great price but I have no thoughts as to where to start to restore it. It needs some floors replaced. CArpets and tiles. Some walls need replacing. I would love some remodeling ideas. Where do I find this information?

HELP!!

Gina Hinson

Doug Mullen

I recently bought a mobil home and have noticed that the ceiling panel sags in one of the bedrooms. This is an area about 2 feet long and the panel is about 18 inches wide that runs the lenghth of the room. Also, there is a smell in that room that we can’t get rid of. Could it be mold or caused by dampness? A second roof was put on the place several years ago. What do I need to know about taking down the ceiling and is it possible to save the panels and the strips that separate the ceiling panels so that they can be used again if they are okay?

your papi

See! I am eager to be there with you,this what i was thinking about last night before you called me,im all ancious about doing my lil hubby duties helping you repair and remodel your place.

i love u cami!

anthony schulte

I would like to remodel my trailer. I was wondering if anyone knows of a handbook, manual to help me through this. Any kind of reference material, tips, techniques website or even where to start would be helpful.

lou

Anyone know how hard it would be to install a sliding glass door,the mobile home is a 1974 model,Tamarack-14×70.Want to install it in the rear bedroom with a window is now.Wondering about the framing aspect.Any help would be helpful..

Harville

I want to add on to my doublewide with a room over a garage. The room and garage will be attached to the masterbed/bath room side with two windows.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Shan

dia

i’ve just purchased a 1987 Skyline Hampshire mobile home..the home is perfect for my daughter and I … but the inside window frames and ledges are in much need of repair. There is no visible leaking as of recently but the seller advised that the owner before him 4 1/2 years ago had a large dog that liked to chew (all the ledges) and the trailer sat empty for a year once they left. Unfortunately, the owner prior to myself didn’t repair. I’m looking for an affordable way to replace the above, of course to make them look nice and so that i don’t have to half duct tape the storm windows 🙁 HELP. thanx for any advice…much appreciated.

Christine

This summer we remodeled our double wide mobile home. We pulled up carpet and installed laminate flooring, which was pretty easy and wasn’t any different than if in a “regular” house. We had these awful walls that are a thin wall board with a paper front and had tack strips going down all the joints. I pulled off all those strips, pounded in or pulled out the nails, and finished it with joint tape and drywall compound. I had never done this kind of work before, but it turned out well. Just be sure to be patient, apply the compound out to several inches on each side of the seam, and sand well. My only other tip is to be prepared to find ANYTHING – those tack strips covered a multitude of sins and shoddy workmanship. Good luck!

Alexa

I want to paint my walls inside of my double wide. They look like they have drywall fabricated on them and those annoying strips everywhere. Can those strips be removed and what do I need to do to prepare to paint. And if the strips can be removed will it leave gaps between the seems. Thanks

Colleen

We are in the process of remodeling a mid-90s mobile home for sale. It is a huge job, including tape and texture througout to cover the papered drywall. We could use advice on texturing the walls. Has anyone done this?

Also, one thing that we have not decided how to fix is the kitchen cabinets. They are pressboard covered with wood-grain paper. The paper is peeling due to regular rutine cleaning! We would like to do something other than plain old white paint. Any ideas?

Anne

Why is the water in 2 showers running cold only. The basin sinks deliver hot water as does the shower in the master bath. What could be the problem with the guest room showers.

mj

Please Help!!!! Please

A couple of years ago I bought my fathers old doublewide in Georgia when he died. I would like to redo i so it doesn’t look like a trailer inside. I can’t stand the walls with the strips on the walls, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like to paint my kitchen cabinets, they are made of pressed board & some kind of contact or something on them & are in need of great help. Would washing them,then lightly sanding them help so I can paint them any color? Last year my mom & I redid the kitchen floor with peel & stick tiles. Its a nice change but the kicthen is still dark due to the fact that my father had a screened in porch put in to go along with his built in pool. I would appreciate any & all advice. Thanx this is a 1989 doublewide. Please Help, Thanx mj

Karl

I am in search of replacement kitchen cabinets. I have just purchased a foreclosed late 90s mobile home that is missing a 12 inch cabinet and an island. They were both done in what I believe to be the standard wood-grain patter in mobile homes. I have checked online and locally but to no avail. Does anyone know where I can find these cabines, so I don’t have to replace the whole kitchen?

jan

i need to know if there is a room already build to add on to a existing moble home.i have heard there is can you give me some info.

Ron Rogers

I need to replace the outdoor carpeting on two stairways and porches. I can not locate a source to replace the ‘L’ shape aluminum edging that surrounds the edge of the porch and stair treds. Can you help?

Annie

The hot water in our sinks is definately hot, but we can’t get any of the hot water in our upstairs shower. What could the problem be? Is there anything we can do?

Many Thanks in advance,

Annie

J. Wood

What type of paint is good for painting the outside of the mobil home?

Lisa

We just bought this mobile home. It needs the outside redone. Do I paint or put sideing up? Need serious help

Unregistered-mary

The shower has jsut hot water coming into the shower . The cold is just a tiny drip . R

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.