• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      debbie

I live in an old Brooklyn apartment building with one-pipe steam heat radiators. Lately water and steam have been leaking from the valve, close to the floor. As my landlord is lazy, is there anything that anyone can think of that I might do to fix it myself? Could this have anything to do with the fact that I have turned it on and off a few times this winter?

Thanks much,
      Debbie

Ron

Sometimes, these water valves leak when they are not turned ON or OFF completely. Try turning the valve ON completely. That may help seat the valve against the O ring.

Option #2. Put a pan under the valve to collect the water & enjoy the humidity created by the steam.

suzie

i have very old radiators in my apartment and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about cleaning them. they curently have about 80 years worth of paint. they are not nessicarily grimy but they are coated a couple of times.

thanks

suzie

bart romano

just moved into a old steam heated house. valves look new but leak. how do you drain this system???

Sue

Sounds like a lot of lazy landlords out there …

This season there is a sickeningly sweet-like smell that is escaping from the bullet-like valve on the side of the radiators when air escapes. It irritates my eyes. Can this mean that the radiators themselves need to be cleaned out? New valves have not solved the problem. Help.

Thanks.

patty

Hoping someone has some answers! One of our radiators is leaking water from the connection to the floor pipe; steam is coming from the release valve (good), but the water is bad; it’s already ruined the ceiling in the room below. Does this mean there’s water trapped in the radiator? I replaced the valve, thinking the old one was rusted, but it hasn’t resolved the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jeter, Melissa

My radiator keeps leaking near the floor. How can I repair it? My son loosened the valve that connects the radiator to the pipe and we realized we can’t get it off? We realy need to fix this as it is ruining the cieling downstairs. Help!!

thanks a lot

Dawn

My radiator is leaking from the area where the valve joins the actual radiator. It’s an old fashioned steam heat cast iron radiator. It only leaks when the heat goes above 66. HELP..

James Harkins

i have steam heat radiators, and want to know where i can find though things that strap on to the back of the radiator that hold water so i can put moisture back in the air, my father had them back when i was a kid,and they were great, Thanks Jim

Unregistered-MRCBROWN11@AOL.COM

Hello, I own a brownstone in NY in my house on the fourth floor I notice that the radiator doesn’t get hot. On the same line below the riser and the radiator is hot. It seems that the higher you get in the house the steam doesn’treach. Could you please tell me how can I fix/repair this problem. Thank you very much in advance.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.