• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gregory L Smith

Over the past six months, a lateral crack has developed in a concrete block foundation wall below grade. Above grade is a brick veneer, one story rancher built in the 1970s. The wall has moved 20 thousands of an inch as measured by a dial micrometer in the past six months. A few weeks ago it measured 17 thousands.

Is this an area of concern and what can be done? Who should we contact – home inspector, structural engineer, architect, contractor?

Thanks. We look forward to your reply.

tomh

3-thousandths of an inch! We are talking nano movement here, but I commend your ability to track it. Sounds like the engineer has already been informed. If you are experiencing a lot of rain or extended dry weather and the soils tend to shrink/swell, your problem is going to be solved by dealing with the backfill on the foundation. Most likely you have a hydraulic pressure increase that has cracked the block and moved the wall. This can be relieved by using proper backfill to convey water to the tiles on the foundation. So, my vote is for either a soils engineer or a dig-in-the-mud contractor who can get the job done.

I am just speculating. I’m in California and havn’t seen a drop of rain since early May. But I’ve heard its wet in some places. Also, you can probably count on one hand the number of places with block wall foundations out here, so I’m relying on memories of my midwestern days.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.