Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Tony

I am looking to repair a laminate counter top, and found two conflicting pages of info on the Bob Villa site.

One says you can repair them: “Laminate countertops can be repaired and resurfaced at a fraction of the cost of replacement. The cracks and burns are repaired with a special plastic filler, then sanded smooth to fill in any rough or damaged areas. The counter is then sprayed with a special topcoat, which gives the appearance and durability of a new laminate countertop. The process usually takes four to five hours, and your kitchen will be ready to use the next day.”

The second says you cannot repair them: “Laminated Kitchen Counters: Damage: Laminate cannot be repaired. Some third-party seam-fill kits may make damage less noticeable but cannot completely repair a piece that is damaged.”

Does anyone know what the truth is? I have a n open seam crack, a burn mark, a raised burn blister, and two “scratches” where a tool or sharp knife cut the surface. I’d like to fill the seam crack and the scratches, and sand the burn blister. Then I’d like to spray on a new “plastic” “colored sealant” to give the whole counter a new look.

How do I go about this project?

Tony

riverhawk
      Participant

If it was I ..I would remove the old HPL and reapply new with contact cement. find someone with a hand router experience and route the edges and file smooth. All that is of course is if your homeowners insurance wouldn’t pay for new to begin with. the main thing with applying new is to make sure your cuts are exact so seams dont show.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.