• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jb

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding what to use under a carpet on a basement concrete floor. My basement is nice and dry – I’m turning one room down there into a finished space for a playroom for the kiddies. I don’t want the floor to be ice cold but I am trying to avoid having to do all the rigid insulation, sleepers, plywood, etc. and also losing ceiling height. I think I would settle for some sort of insulating pad, heavier and more R-value than regular pad. This should take the edge off I think. My question is, what is this stuff called and where do I buy it? I saw something on the web but it was pretty esoteric and made in some ferin country, etc. Thoughts?… I’m JB that posts regularly so I’m not a complete simpleton, just a regular simpleton…

Dodgeman

JB,
      The concrete floor really isn’t that much colder than the air, it’s just that it conducts the heat away so well. My point is that it could be that carpet alone may be enough insulation to give that nice warm feeling to the floor, thus saving the additional cost of insulating padding, etc.
      One more thing, if you have a forced air system, try to get a cold air return from the floor level back to the furnace.
      Just my 2 cents worth. (the makes 4 cents today)
      Regards,
      Dodgeman

Jim

There is a 1/2″ densified urethane foam pad Made by Carpenter, this is a pattented pad. It is the best pad made in my opinion, you should be able to find it at a good flooring retailer, not all flooring stores carry it because it is more costly.

Jim

EdF

Just did exactly this about 6-months ago. Checked around and got a plastic-coated pad – was really advertised for it’s stain-resistant quality, but also useful for this application. The plastic-coated side (really, it’s more like a thin layer of rubber) goes on the carpet-side, and should anyone spill something, won’t absorb into the pad. The cost wasn’t significantly more than the regular pad, and the installer said he’s seen these a lot, especially in basements.

BobF

I installed an 8-pound commercial grade pad under the berber in my basement (Feb 1999). The floor is as comfortable as any in the rest of the house.

Jay J -Moderator

In the name of helping a fellow Follow-upper, JB wants ‘recommendations’ for a carpet pad that has some insulation value. He’s gotten a lot of feedback on ‘good carpet padding’ but does anyone have a recommendation for one that has, perhaps, an R-value associated w/it?

Like I said, I’m just trying to help a guy who helps other. 😉 Keep ’em coming!!!

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

jeff

I am building 2/4 walls and finnishing with dry wall all walls are below grade. Should I …keep studed wall away from block ?vapor barrior on block side or drywall side? fiberglass insulation?

Amy

I have an unfinished basement and have noticed condensation on the inside of the vapor barrier covering the wall studs. Should I be concerned about this moisture? Also, what do I need to do to the cement floor in the basement before I lay carpet?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.