• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      judy

Last year we purchased a home that was built in 1968. The room that we want to put vinal flooring in has carpet over it currently. When taking the tackless strips off, the tile underneath cracks where there are nails. It is actually taking chunks out of this tile as well. The area is very small (3×4). The tile is not ceramic but a hard substance that is not bendable (not sure what it really is). I am doing this project myself and want to know the easiest way without making this a huge home improvement project. Thanks for your help!

RichS

I would consider other alternatives than vinyl. The vinyl will show any imperfections in the floor underneath. If you really want to put down the vinyl I would use thinset mortar to fill in any cracks, holes, or any other imperfections in the floor before you install the vinyl.

dp

itrs probaly abestos tile you got there now

leave in place due to contamantion concerns

go over with 1/4″ plywood underlayment, that is what you ask for at lumber yard, secure with 1 1/2 inch ringed flooring nails at 30-40 nials per 4×4 sheet of ply

than put your new tiles right on plywood

leave 1/16 gap in between sheets of ply for expansion, rest is simple cutting to fit

dp

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.