• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rick Devost

The installation of the hardwood floor is not the problem, the sub floor is my concern. The current sub floor is 3/4″ pressboard and my understanding is that the nails used to install the hardwood will eventually let go if installed using the pressboard. I will be using 3/4″ plywood as my new sub floor, but do not want to lay the plywood over the existing sub floor. My question is how do I remove the current sub floor without damaging the walls or structure. My first thought is to use a circular saw and cut around the room using the baseboard as my guide.

Dominick

Rick,

I’m going to make the assumption that this is over the basment.
      If go this route make sure where the plywood doesn’t meet a beam that you brace it from underneath. This is the insure that the plywood is stabile and secure when walked on.
      GOOD LUCK!

Dom

david london jr.

I am going to go to hardwood floors and i need to

know: what is the cheapest and best way to remove

the pressboard sub floor.

Norman Campbell

Why cant you use particle board for a sub floor

for the installation of a hardwood floor????

My problem is that it is a cabin not a home and the hardwood is not long pieces

18in to 36in

I was thinking of nailing and glueing the boards

because the sub floor is down and the expense is too much for the cabin

any suggestions

Sonny

What can I do to an uneven subfloor, consist of 3/4 fir ship lap-3/16 plywood toped by sheet linolum, so I can lay hardwood plank? Is there a product I can use to floot on top of the linolum to get rid of the uneven spots?

Tracy Fox

My friend is trying to remove pressboard from her subfloor in her bathroom. She is having a very hard time, is there anything to make this easier?

zee

I tried to buy a Porta Nailer 404 for the first two/three courses and the shop owner advised me to rather buy a Porter Cable FN250B 16 Ga straight nailer because I have already purchased a compressor. Will the nailer work without damaging the floor? I would like to avoid all the hand nailing, if possible.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.