• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Wayne

I have an older frame house with no basement. Can someone tell me what is involved in installing a basement.

Brian Wood

Read Dr Homes’comment on flat roofs in snowy NY.
      YOU KIDDING! I’m sure you’ll find a contractor to do it, but I hope you’ve got deep pockets. If you do it, I’m sure *** **** would like to get a camera crew in there. Good luck & Happy New Year.
      If you need a water heater which takes up no space for your basement, call me at 800 851 9891.

jim

yes ,it can be done.
      first , you need to find someone that will go under
      then —this was done by my dad about 20 years ago
      and also on some other homes in this mining town.
      They were built with no basements. some was dug by
      hand!! and a lot with machines.
      how we did it–
      House is a 2 story 22’x 30′ (main part)
      Set up cribs( 8×8’s) to come up and under steel
      beams under house at enough places, crosswise of
      floor joise’s. sticking out and on to cribs,
      each side. I think we used 3.You need to keep
      these cribs back enough to dig. We also jacked
      this house up 2 blocks.
      I can also remember that he was scared of
      cribing falling in , it rained ALOT after it was
      dug.
      jim

Dr Home

What exactly do you have down in the basement now?
      What does it look like? Utilities? etc.

Bruce M

Hi Wayne
      Yes, this can be done….but at considerable expense.

As Jim points out, your house will have to be raised off the existing foundation. If you are in a warm climate, the footings will no doubt not extend deep enough to go under the basement floor. If in a colder climate, basements or cellars are common, because they have to excavate down so deep for the footings that its just as easy to install the basement while they are there. Otherwise, you will have to break up the existing poured or cinderblock walls and footings, extract all pieces and then dig out the basement cavity. If the main sewer pipe exits above the new basement floor level, you will have to install a lift pump for any plumbing you install in the basement. Then forms will have to be made, concrete pumped into the forms and the basement slab, the concrete cure for at least 3 weeks and then the house reset and plumbed on the new foundation. Whew….a lot of work and if you pay for someone to do it start to finish….well…it better be a very valuable house on very valuable property to make it worth it 🙂
      Best

Bruce M

pat nicholson

was waundering what the the best thing is to use to brase house while digging a basement.cheapest way.dont have much money and was waundering what the cheapest way was to hold it.ist not a big house

TAWNYA

I WANT TO PUT A BASEMENT UNDER A MODULAR HOME. WHO DO I CONTACT AND WHAT KIND OF PRICE AM I LOOKING AT. THE MODULAR HOME IS ABOUT 1900 SQ FT.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.