Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum How good is Hardi-Plank as a replacement siding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob Griffith

We were considering applying HardiPlank siding to 30 condominums but we were told that Hardi-Plank requires yearly caulking and painting every five to seven years. Given this and the expensive installation, it was determined that Hardi-Plank is not a good solution for replacement siding. Have you had this experience from any of your other viewers. I realize that HardiPlank is new but maybe someone out there can clarify this concern. I have HardiPlanks OEM commits but I would like an unbaised opinion. Thanks.

Steve:

Your comments are the first negative comments I have heard concerning James Hardi Planking.

I have used this starting about 5 years ago as a replacement for that old R-105 pine siding. I removed the siding and installed Hardi Planks, painted them caulked them and have never heard again from the customers.

This does not mean that what you said is NOT true, all I am saying, I have not heard any negative or call back questions. But, other factors like moving away or others could enter into the equation.

I will check into this and see what I hear, but so far until your comments, it has all be very good.

He is out of Mission Viejo, CA and has a super web site, possibly you could entertain these concerns and see what they have to say about it.

Richard Frazier

I want to have the siding replaced on two gables. Each gable is 160 sq ft and I figured the hardiplank material will cost about $275.00 total for both gables. I live in Memphis TN. what can I expect for labor cost to remove the old masonite siding and replace it with hardiplank. The areas are easy access but require scafold or ladder work. I’ll paint it myself.

Richard Frazier

901-383-9313

Geoff Murphy

Having installe literally MILLIONS of square feet of Hardi-Plank siding, I have never encountered this. Hardi itself really does not even require paint but for aesthetic reasons. If installed properly, joints should not require much caulk. Improper installation and bad cuts require much more caulk, and caulk when overapplied will detach from the surface. Proper installation and caulking should last (aesthetically) for 5 to 7 years.

Lon

We have also now been told that hardiplank must be caulked routinely(thought we never would have to do much of anything)…but we recently were told after mold remediation (for a five year old house), that improper moisture barriers were installed, not suited for hardiplank. What is the proper barrier to use? We have been told that after five years our hardiplank needs to be recaulked and repainted. We have also noticed warping, and irregular cut boards, all of which could contribute to moisture build up between the walls. Would this all be the responsibility of the home builder?

We live in the southeast, gulf coast area of Texas.

Any comments or advice?

Unregistered-Chris Conklin

Considering installing Hardi-Plank to the entire exterior of our home.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.