Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum How do I paint over paneling??????????????? Help!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon

I want to paint over 1970’s dark wood paneling.
      It has deep groves in between each panel. I would
      like to paint over. Do I need a primer? Walls are
      smooth with some wood grain. The room has dark
      everything it in, with a hung pegboard ceiling.
      The carpeting is brown/tan/white marbeled effect. I know white would be too bright. Cream
      or light beige? What is a good brand? Please give me any input asap. Thanks for your time.

John 2000

John 2000

Henry in MI

Come on, John2000. I’m sure that you have a game plan and suggestions on this.

Hi, Sharon. First, let me say that I strongly suggest that you take the paneling down, put up drywall, tape and sand the joints, then prime and paint. There are many TV shows on cable that can show you how to do this and, if you keep watching, I’m sure that you can catch one of them. It is a lot easier to show you how to do it than to tell you how to do it. I think I also saw a listing for a web site that had full instructions so you might do a little searching. Your walls will look a lot better.

Whether you start from taped and sanded drywall or you sand your wood paneling with a finishing sander or hand sand with 150 grit, vacuum and tack rag all the dust up. Then put on a coat of Zinsser B-I-N primer-sealer. I suggest that you get your paint at a specialty paint store. You will pay a little more for the paint but the advise you get and the better quality paint makes it worthwhile. The same paint manufacturer will make several different quality levels under the same corporate name, in many cases, and the specialty paint store will carry the top of the line. It’s not a bargain if you buy paint and have problems with it. The sanding and the repainting is worth a lot more than the dollars you save buying the cheaper paint. But one other “beware” to this. There have been several reports of problems with “designer” paint that can sell for as much as $65/gal.

If you stick with the wood paneling, you will have to use a brush for the grooves for both the primer-sealer and the paint. If you install drywall, you can use a roller. Others might tell you that you can fill the grooves, but I do not think that this is a good idea. Also, be sure that you have real wood and not just paneling that is a picture of wood on plastic stuck to the front of your paneling.

I’m not sure what you mean by “a hung pegboard ceiling”? Can you explain? And I don’t do colors. I have never chosen one that my wife was happy with and I don’t care for her choices either.

Good luck.
      Henry in MI

John 2000

Sharon, “Good morning”,
      As I said, “you know who” would come up with a better
      idea than I would,.
      As for colours (colors) I feel you will be safe if
      you use light pastal shades, they seem to blend in well
      with each other.
      As for the carpet some people like every thing to blend in
      and most times it don’t, find a carpet that has all the colors
      in it that you want in the room, and this way there will be a
      harmony and thats what you want.
      As for the ceiling, well?, you could replace it or cover it with a
      system ceiling, ie: panels 2’x 4′ / 2’x 2′ fitted into “T” rails
      you can see this type of ceiling in almost any shop and it will
      not cost too much, and you can fit spots (ceiling lamps) into it.
      some people have them in their kitchen, (I have them in mine,)
      I hope I’ve helped you in some way….
      John 2000.
      PS: Henry in MI,
      Talking about wives and colors, I must have married you wife’s
      sister.

Jodi

Sharon, trust me, moved into a house with painted paneling. Of course, they were painting to sell, so I had a mess on my hands. If you don’t do it properly it will chip if you look at it cross-eyed. I took mine down, repaired the drywall, textured and painted. You will definitely be happier in the long run. As far as colors, what I have done, is “color-matched” to the lightest shade in the carpet. Been very happy with the results.

Lynn

I want to paint over paneling in my dining room and replace it with my hand-painted wall mural, but my paneling has groves in it. How can I get rid of the groves without an extreme expense?

Lynn Maritimes

Linda Eichler

Hi,

Just purchased a mobile home, Would like to know if I can paint the paneling. Any suggestions?

Vicki

Can you make panneling look like textured walls ?

Victoria

What do I use to clean walls and get ready to paint? I want to use latex paint,

Thanks Paul

nancy

Is there a “paper” product that can be put over paneling to cover the grooves before painting? What is it and where can I find it?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.