Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-victorian

I called an electrician to check my wires but he said it need replaced withi a few years. He said he did not see anything dangerous but the service is only 100 amp and it is from the 50s. Some of the old wiring was updated then. He said the sockets are 50-70 years old as well as the switches. He went up in the loft and said that the wiring was safe, but had been “spliced as needed”. There are only 8 fuses in my box.

My heating plant is an older unit it is about 15 years old Kenmore and it is gas forced air. It does not run too well and it is a bit noisy.

Unregistered-Mike G

Sorry I didn’t read the posts about all this but 100AMP in todays standards is NOTHING! It is a potential fire hazard. Especially if the wiring is old.

Think about what we have now that we didn’t have then. Microwaves, 3 TV’s, Computers, printers, bigger fridges, recessed lights with 100Watts in each, dehumidifiers, ect. ect.

I would invest a few thousand dollars and change to at least a 200 AMP. How big is the house?

I do plenty of these and I’ve seen a hairdryer dim the lights in another room.
      If you’re drawing a lot of amps, the wires will get extremely hot therefore possibly causing a fire.

LarryG
      Participant

furnace 15 years old is not bad.but if it is noisy (and doesn’t work too well) have it checked out and cleaned. for safety’s sake and peace of mind.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.