• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Jack Higbee

sears electric hot water heater – water is reaching very hot and dangerous range – the reset then kicks out – can reset and the same repeats = have lowered the temp. setting with same results – the t&p valve will drip somewhat when temp. reaches very high level. Looking for solution. Should the elements be replaced? Heater is nine years old. Help.

Dr.Home

The heating element is not the problem. Chances
      are the thermostat is not kicking off at the preset
      temperature. Also the relief valve is rated to discharge
      the excess heat at its rated temperature. Both areas
      need your attention.
      At nine years of age, this water heater is
      beginning to run out of its limited life. Serious
      thought should be given to the cost of parts versus
      the cost of a new water heater. GOOD LUCK!!!

Brian Wood, the hot water guysers

Dear Jack,very simple,the heat sensitive bi-metal
      spring in your thermostat has lost its’ snap-back ability (old age). The whole unit costs about $8
      at your local plumbing supply store and all you need to replace it is a #2 phillips screwdriver & possibly a pair of needle nose pliers. It should take you all of five minutes. If you want to make a radical change, you could install an RA-28 Seisco tankless waterheater and never have the problem again & never run out of hot water again.
      Call or E-mail me for info. Try http://www.seisco.net then please call me to order one @ 800-851 9891. I also sell Gas Aqua-Stars & magnetic water conditioning for scale control. Cheers,Brian.

Waterboy

Why would anybody want to heat hot water? I have a cold water heater that heats cold water to make hot water. If Jack’s water heater is heating the cold water too much, then isn’t the problem that the water heater is too hot? In any case, Brian is probably right that the thermostat is shot and this is an easy and cheap repair.

Cecil Joiner

After showers, a red dusty-type residue is in bottom
      of tub. Does not happen with cold water only.
      Does hot water heater need cleaning out? Do I call
      a plumber or electrician? Can I do it and how?

Tim Pingel

We need to replace the two elements on our hot water heater. The old ones are in there so tight we can’t seem to get them out. Can you help us

Patrick Lee

Purchased a townhouse that uses a H/W Heater to provide Hot Water for the home Heating unit. It is vented horizontally out the rear of the townhouse. When the wind blows from the North it will blow out the pilot. Any other direction and it stays lit. Is there any special type of vent cap to reduce this problem?

Edwar Lara

I have a weird problem with my water heater. I have a house with two bathroom. The problem is that in one of the bathroom we don’t receive enough hot water. Usually after 2 minutes of taking a shower the water starts to cool off very soon. We can still taking a shower but you can feel the difference. The first time I was thinking that the problem was the water heater but I flushed it and checked the elements and everything looks fine. One day I was asking myself why my son didn’t complaint about his bathroom. So I went ahead and took one long shower in his bathroom. After 10 minutes of shower the water still very hot. The house has a concrete foundation, so I cannot check if we have a problem with the pipe line. I have not idea how to figure out the problem. I will appreciate any comments about it. Thanks very much. Happy Christmas.

Wally K

I have looked everywhere for a simple water temperature gauge that will install in series with the outgoing half inch copper pipe from the water heater. I have seen gauges like this on boiler units, and just wanted to integrate the idea into the water heater. Can I do this, and if so, where can I find such a gauge?

Ai Du

Every time of using hot water, we hear a noisy sound of running water that comes from the water heater; and when the hot water in full running, we suddenly shut off, we hear the bangging sound of the pipeline. (when using cold water, we don’t have this problem).

Please tell us why, and how to fix?

John

I just put in a new hot water heater its a 40 gal 240V 4500 watts and after it has been on for about 15-20 minutes it trips the MAIN breaker out side , it don’t trip any of the breakers in the Box inside, only the main breaker leading inside the home. the breaker out side is a double 60 and the 220 line is 6 gauge. the old hot water heater was rated at 3800 watts and the new on is 4500 watts. Help

catnarat

i live in a two room apt. the hot water here is gas heated, it is so hot you screem bloody murder if taking ashower and someone runs the cold, blisters ok, is this safe? so hot it melts the sink fixtures if run staight hot, landlord says its fine, i dont think so but cant get any help, i’m afraid to take showers, any info much appreciated thanks, C

Terre

Our gas water heater went out. We turned the water valve off to stop the leaking on the floor. Should we to turn the pilot light out until we get service?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.