• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DeAnn

In the last week my hot water tank has tripped off several times and I have to push the reset button. Then when it cuts on the water is really really hot. We have been in this house for two years and when we moved in, there was work done to the heater tank. I know that atleast one element was replaced. Any ideas why the tank keeps cutting off, is this an indication of a problem about to occur?

t.b.

There are a number of things that can go wrong – however your electric water heater has 220V in it be careful, not for the voltage but because your breaker panel will supply any short with a bundle of amps. So other than having someone else look at it, one thing you can check (with the power off) is check to see if the bottom of the tank is full of sediment. They really can fill up such that the lower element is overheating. If it won’t drain by the lower drain valve that’s a problem.

Tom C

sediment can cause a problem but shouldnt cause it to overheat. Overheating can be caused by a heating element shorting to ground and thus staying on all the time, but most likely the thermostats are at fault. check the elements for short to ground. check resitance of each element, should be somewhere between 8-15 ohms; if both elements okay, replace both t’stats… they are relitively inexpensive…..if you dont know how to check the elements call in someone who can. Good Luck…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.