• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      cyndi schiferl

We bought a preexisting house that the hardwood floors need to be refinished. could you please tell me what products i need and how involved it is to this on my own. i am not really concerned about the sanding because this is think i can do on my own with a rented sander. I am more concerned about the removal of the stain that is between the cracks and also how easy is it to restain the floor. is there a product out there that makes the stain apply evenly onto the existing oak.

Henry in MI

Cyndi, oak flooring usually stains pretty easily and evenly. On about half the oak things that I finish, I use a spit coat of shellac that is one part of 3# cut shellac (Bullseye from Zinsser) to 5 parts denatured alcohol. You can apply this with a natural bristle brush. It slightly seals the wood and evens out the woods ability to accept stain. This removes and tendency toward blotchyness. Since there will be a lot of alcohol, and later a lot of paint thinner/mineral spirits, evaporating when you apply the spit coat and stain, be sure that you have great ventilation and no ignition sources in the area.

One big requirement for getting a great floor refinishing is cleanliness. You want to be sure that you get ALL the dust after sanding. For your health and cleanliness, seal all the openings like heat vents with plastic. Make an airlock with plastic tarps through one entrance door, if you can, and seal the other doors. You can leave windows open for ventilation through most processes. After sanding, vacuum and wipe down, then vacuum again EVERY surface in the room. This will help get up any dust that could get between the flooring strips and make any lines/gaps less visible. A stain finish on the polyurethane will make other small defects less visible.

Henry in MI

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.