Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      dac15239
      Participant

I ripped down some old paneling in the room I am remodeling. The walls under the panelling are plastered and naturally have a ton of holes in them from the panelling. Also, some larger holes from where the previous owners tried putting outlets and running wiring. Wondering if I can hang thin sheets of drywall over the old plastering? Anyone ever do this?

homebild
      Participant

What you propose is a common practice, done all the time and is usually accomplished by using drywall sheets either 3/8ths or 1/4″ thick.

Normally, you can only find 3/8th or 1/4″ sheets from professional drywall supply dealers, not home improvement centers.

Unregistered-t.b.

Yes, it’s done a lot in older houses where the original plaster is not worth fixing and they don’t relish taking down tons of stuff. All you really need is longer drywall screws. Only negative is it can cause problems at your baseboard and window/door moldings. You lose the reveal or inset between the molding and original plaster.

rpomeranz
      Participant

You can generally get excellent results doing this. Be sure you use long enough screws to penetrate through your existing plaster & lath & into the studs. Do not use drywall any thinner than 1/2″–you only save a few pennies with 3/8″ material & it is pretty crappy stuff.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.