Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Guttering – 5″ vs 6 ” and plastic vs aluminum?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Mike C

My house is a two story. The second story walls are covered in shingles on front and back sides, and the second story front/rear walls are pretty steep (only drops in about 12 inches).

I replaced siding and trim boards on the first floor and removed the gutters. The original gutters were 6″ They need to be at least that wide because of the distance of the edge of the shingle to the facer boards.

I’ve looked at the local home improvement stores, and they only carry 5″ gutters in aluminum. They can order 6″ gutters in aluminum with no problem, but I have a high minimum order with plastic and it’s only sold in increments of 100 ft.

Has anybody got any thoughts on going with plastic versus aluminum guttering? Any thoughts were I can find plastic 6″ without getting saddled with minimum buys?

Thanks,

Mike

homebild
      Participant

Your cheapest way out and one that will produce the best job is to hire a seamless gutter company.

They will come and make up seamless aluminim on site and be done faster than you could move your ladders around the house.

Unregistered-MASTER

DUDE,
      WHERE ARE YOU SHOPPING?
      PLASTIC HAS GASKETS.
      EASY TO CUT.
      NO MASTIC @ $7.00 A TUBE.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.