Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Marty in Brooklyn

The gutter system I have on my house is not in the most
      ideal of conditions, I mean that 1) it gets clogged by debris
      2) there are some leaks at certain joints, 3) there are certain areas
      where the water pools.

I know that I could re-pitch the gutter so that the water doesn’t pool,
      and use gutter guards for falling debris and so on.

But recently I’ve seen an ad for rain dispersal systems
      where the water doesn’t run in a gutter to the drain
      or downspout but actually are louvers that disperses the water in a 2-3 ft
      band of soft rain droplets and never needs cleaning.

I would like to know if anyone has actually seen the system in use
      and if it is more practical that the one gutter system.

Your feedback is deeply appreciated.

Marty

Jay J

Marty,

I don’t own one but I’ve see what they do to the soil below.

Yes, the water is ‘dispersed’ but it STILL falls in great quantity. The water splashing on the ground ‘softens’ the soil and as the rainwater drains away, it erodes the soil. Also, it splashes a lot of dirt up onto the house, or whatever, they’re installed on.

As for ‘fixing’ your current gutter problem, if you eventually go w/new gutters, get seamless gutters. (They’re bent-and-folded from sheet-aluminum, usually on-site. Hence, no seams.) Make sure you have drip edge under the first course of shingles too.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Steve Jones

Believe this or not, but I have seen debris build up on these gutters also.

remember, all it takes is one Piece of Contraband to hang up on the louvers and they you will have a log jam.

But, if this does occur, they seem easy to clean off from the ground level.

Also, due to their delicate construction, make sure that you do not have any swing branches around the system that could bump or hit the gutter, they will bend and become useless.

Steve

Ron C

Depending on your situation (the grading around your house) the rain dispersal system could be very bad to use.

This system dumps the water very close to your foundation, where traditional systems usually carry the water away to a safe location.

In Texas where people water their foundations so they don’t crack, this system might even be beneficial by keeping the ground around the house wet.

In places where the soil is clay and houses have a basement, you want the water as far away as possible.

In northern areas, ice buildup in the spring might rip that system apart.

I would stick with tryed & true systems.

Nick G

Hi Marty

I was surfing around and noted the answers to your question about rain dispersal systems . Sounds to me like the guy who answered sells gutters! I sell rain dispersal systems for a living and if they didn’t work I couldn’t do it. If your home is properly graded and you follow the simple instructions for installation they work fine. The rain sized drops from the rain dispersal systems mix with the rain from the sky and flow gently away from your home.

Nick G.

jackie

Hey, Jay J should try them instead of knocking them. I have had them for 2 years and they really do the job. As the manufacturer recommends, you don’t want the drops hitting bare soil. Just like the raindrops from the sky, they will splash dirt around and create low spots. My mulch stays put and it used to get blasted away before I used rain dispersal system.
      I have not had to clean them and there are trees all around my home. Give them a shot.

Jackie

Fran

Live in Texas and would like current feedback from those whose have had it installed.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.