Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      thiggy
      Participant

I have recently noticed that in recent days I am hearing a gurgling sound in my bathtub drain when I flush the toilet and also run the water in the sink. I haven’t detected any slow draining or backing up. This is an old house with three bathrooms on three levels. The gurgling is the bath in the middle level. There is a 4″ soil stack from the toilet through the roof in the wall of this room. The drain from the tub and lav. goes into a 4″ iron soil line heading to the septic tank. I hate to wait till I have something overflow before I do anything, but I am uncertain what I should do. Any suggestions?

Jasper
      Participant

* The trap in the sink should have water in it that should block any gas or noises from being fed back.
      * Possible that a vacuum is being formed that sucks out the trap water. The vent pipes should prevent the vacuum from developing…
      * Are you hearing the gurgling sounds comming from the wall? If so that may be allright.
      * If the gurgling is comming from the drain… You have a possible problem.
      * Good luck… Adios.. Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

Jasper
      Participant

* Consider three water sources on the same pipe. #11 is the highest, #2 is in the middle, and #3 is at the bottom.
      * Sequence: #3 flushes, then #1 Flushes simultaneously. #3 flushing causes a vacuum because #1 is blocking the vent. This vacuum sucks out water from #2 trap thereby causing the gurgling sound..
      * Hummm… That’s way out. Could happen..
      * Your thoughts Thiggy…
      Adios… Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

Unregistered-lg

your sanitary stack needs to be snaked out from the roof.

thiggy
      Participant

Jasper, you may have hit on the problem with your first guess. It has been quite a long time since the bathtub has been used in that room. I’ll run a bit of water into the tub and make sure that there is water in the trap and see if that makes any difference. I’ll report back later. Thanks, Thiggy

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.